Moderator Control Panel ]

Blue Peter episode about John Noakes' family tree

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Blue Peter episode about John Noakes' family tree

Postby pforkes » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:00 am

I remember an episode of Blue Peter (back in the late 1960s or 1970s) in which presenter John Noakes researched his family tree. Can anyone else remember anything about that episode?
pforkes

Re: Blue Peter episode about John Noakes' family tree

Postby phsvm » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:12 pm

I was an avid Blue Peter view around the last '60/early '70s and I have no memory of this at all. That's not to say it didn't happen but I do remember when John Noakes died obituaries said how he'd changed his surname to that of his adopted father and how he disliked his birth father and his original surname - Bottomley. The character he portrayed on Blue Peter was very far from the 'real' John Noakes - I saw him on stage in Hobson's Choice in about 1983 and he was a brilliant actor.

With this in mind I can't imagine he'd have agreed to allow his family history to be investiaged.

I suggest you contact the BBC press office and ask them.
phsvm

Postby junkers » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:14 pm

Are you thinking about 'Blue peter' episode with John Noakes and Leslie Judd going to (the then new) Public Record office building at Kew in 1978, where John was looking at records from Halifax.
junkers

Postby pforkes » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:02 pm

The only thing that I actually remember about it was the final scene where he was standing outside a country church, and the person he was talking to saying 'and that's as far as we you can go back' (meaning thither were no records before that).
pforkes

Postby ermin79 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:41 pm

The National Archives is currently showing the Blue Peter episode relating to their building in the foyer at Kew and i don't recall seeing a church in it at all so definitely a different episode.

Sent from my LG-K120 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
ermin79

Return to General research queries