Moderator Control Panel ]

DNA test results information help please

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby Simon45 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:15 pm

I'm thinking of having my DNA test done

Do the results only show living relations ?

Or do the results give deceased ancestors as well with no living descendants ?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Simon45

Re: DNA test results information help please

Postby fhb » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:50 am

The results show two things
1 a rough breakdown of the estimated geographical origins of your DNA
2 matches with others who have had their DNA submitted.
Personally I find that 1 doesn't do much for me but 2 has been great. I have identified my half brother plus my maternal grand parents! There is no way the 20 years of research found these apart from DNA. Plus it has also enabled me to prove my research on my paternal grandmother's side. For me it has been a great boon. However be prepared to put in a lot of work building trees to establish where you match.
Francis

Sent from my SM-N9005 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
fhb

Postby Guy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:33 am

fhb wrote:The results show two things
1 a rough breakdown of the estimated geographical origins of your DNA
2 matches with others who have had their DNA submitted.
Personally I find that 1 doesn't do much for me but 2 has been great. I have identified my half brother plus my maternal grand parents! There is no way the 20 years of research found these apart from DNA. Plus it has also enabled me to prove my research on my paternal grandmother's side. For me it has been a great boon. However be prepared to put in a lot of work building trees to establish where you match.
Francis

Sent from my SM-N9005 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app

Sorry but DNA does not show the above or actually prove anything.

1) DNA shows an estimate of the origins of majority of samples of DNA tests the particular company holds. This may or may not be the actual origins of your DNA as the company may have a very limited dataset.

2) DNA does not prove matches it shows similar DNA sequences which point to a possibility of a relationship but it does not prove anything.
The “general” test done by these companies cannot even disprove the possibility of many relationships due to DNA drop-out depending on the “distance” of the subject to the DNA.

Look on DNA as an additional tool that may help to add weight to a decision (as Francis above seems to use it) but never think DNA is going to prove or disprove anything, the tests are far to general for that.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Simon45 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:55 am

Hi
Thanks for all the replies and information
I will get my DNA done soon

Simon

Simon45

Postby devonliz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:06 am

Simon

If you want to splash out on a 'whole-genome' test, you will get the following information:

Y-chromosome - this has been passed to you by your father, his father, etc. so it will identify your male lineage. This is interesting if you have an unusual surname and you want to confirm that you are related to other men of the same or similar name (e.g. in a One-Name Study). You will be confirming not the whole DNA sequence, but markers, which form a pattern that can be roughly divided into a sort of family tree.

Mitochondria - these are organelles found in all living cells and have been passed down from your mother, her mother etc. Thus the markers in this DNA sequence will tell you about your maternal heritage.

The remaining chromosomes - the autosomes, and X (you have one of these plus the Y!) - are unique to you. Since they are a mash-up of DNA from each parent, yours will roughly be 50% from each parent, and roughly 50% similar to a sibling. On average, 25% from each grandparent, 12.5% from each great-grandparent ... you can see how small the regions of identity will be even with a known cousin.

Genetic research in the British Isles, recently extended to include Ireland, used DNA from people whose grandparents (or ggparents) were born within 50km of each other, and confirmed that certain markers were clustered geographically, hence the identification of 'Orkney' DNA - and Welsh, Cornish etc. I'm not sure if similar work has been done in other countries - just think of the huge movements of population in the last 100 years and earlier, which would make it difficult to get similar information. Some of this is backed up by DNA extracted from prehistoric skeletons. Thus all DNA in the databases has been given voluntarily, or is archeological.

There is a good article in the WDYTYA? magazine in April 2017 that helps, but I think the best advice would be to go to the biggest database (Ancestry) and get the most extensive test you can afford. There are sometimes discount offers, and a One-Name Study might also be useful in that respect.
devonliz

Postby meekhcs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:25 pm

The first question you need to answer is "Why do I want to take a DNA test? "
The answer will then dictate which DNA test is the best for you.
If you are searching for or trying to establish something in particular then a specific test will be necessary eg Y chromosone for male line or mitrochondrial for female line in which case I would recommend FTDNA in the USA.They were the forerunners in FamilyHistory DNA tests. They have many one name studies.
If the test is more for curiosity then by all means go down the Ancestry DNA test route.
meekhcs

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Having taken the Ancestry test recently, (autosomnal) I’m impressed by the quality of the hints being provided. Whilst Guy may be correct in what he says (I don’t have the knowledge to argue against it), I have found all the hints I’ve looked at so far have been proved accurate, linking me with another dozen or more distant cousins.
Only today I managed to prove that a George Henry Moore, an ancestor of one ‘hint’, was in fact the same person as Henry George Moore, an ancestor of mine. I never found out where Henry George went after 1881, and my cousin never knew where George Henry came from or his parentage. I doubt that without the DNA test, we would ever have discovered the link.

My conclusion is that having researched for over 20 years, the DNA test has opened up another positive aid in my research, and my advice for those considering taking the test is to go for it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!
Mick Loney

Postby Simon45 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:40 am

I will go ahead and take the test
How long does it take to get the results ?

Thanks
Simon

Simon45

Postby JaneyH » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:54 am

A good place to start is the International Society of Genetic Genealogists https://isogg.org/wiki/Wiki_Welcome_Page which has lots of background material to read.

If you want a really straight-forward read then this is great: http://donnarutherford.com/?p=126 - it's what made me decide to test!

I've joined a Facebook group called 'DNA help for genealogy (UK)' which is moderated by Donna Rutherford, and is not affiliated to any of the testing companies. The group has a range of resources to read, and obviously you can post questions for group members to help you with.

If you want a book then Blaine Bettinger's 'Family Tree guide to DNA testing and genetic genealogy' is one of the best around. It is so easy to read and understand quite complex science - I refer to it regularly.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:04 am

If memory serves me right, I applied for the kit from Ancestry about mid Dec, and got the final results on 12 Jan, and this was during a period of extemely high demand (million+).
Mick Loney

Next

Return to General research queries