Moderator Control Panel ]

DNA test results information help please

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: DNA test results information help please

Postby Urchin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:14 pm

I love that I completed my Ancestry DNA test and I really wish more of those in the UK would do it.

I'm from North America, where over the past few years, the test has become incredibly popular. I have lots of matches to my North American relatives but only a few from the UK.
I even found a long-lost 2nd cousin (she had been adopted) and reunited her with her birth father (my cousin).

Beyond genetic matches, if you have a family tree made on Ancestry and attached to your DNA test, it can match you to other people and in some cases show exactly what part of your tree you are related through. I've had about 90 matches that have shared "hints" showing me how we're connected.
Urchin

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:12 pm

Urchin,
Whilst it makes it easier to spot DNA matches if you both have trees on Ancestry, can I stress this isn’t necessary and gives people the impression that matches are only via Trees and not the result of DNA Analysis.
I have had many potential DNA matches supplied by Ancestry, where the person who is subject of the match doesn’t have a tree on Ancestry.

The matches are result of comparing DNA, NOT by comparing trees.

Ancestry does produce normal hints like FMP, where it thinks someone in your tree matches someone in one of their databases but this is completely different from DNA matches.
Mick Loney

Postby jendo0483 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:06 am

If you want to get an accurate result, then you can use this given DNA testing kits.

1. AncestryDNA: DNA Ancestry Test Kit
2. 23andMe DNA Test Ancestry kit
3. MyHeritage DNA Test Kit

This all have top rated and best reviews. So you can use it without any doubt.
jendo0483

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:20 pm

To add to my previous comments, would everyone please remember that the DNA results on their own are pretty useless without a family tree to back them up.
It is most frustrating to discover someone is a potential match, only to find they haven’t produced a tree to compare for potential matches. :roll:
Mick Loney

Previous

Return to General research queries