Moderator Control Panel ]

Tracing residents of a house

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Tracing residents of a house

Postby phsvm » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:24 pm

A colleague has asked me to have a look at who had previously lived in her house. The house was built in the mid 1800s.

My mind has gone a complete blank but can someone tell me how I search on census returns for her house address, rather than under an individual's name?

I can use either Ancestry or FMP.
phsvm

Re: Tracing residents of a house

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:42 pm

I haven’t used FMP for a while, but they did have excellent ways to search for addresses rather than people. At the top of the census search screen, one could select Person or Place. Select place and with the information you have, bob’s your uncle.

Because enumertors sometimes abbreviated street addresses, start with the town, and from the list of streets, select the one you want, then select house number. If the address appears more than once due to different spellings, select each in turn until you find the house you want.

I used this often when a person wasn’t transcribed on FMP as expected. I’d find them using FamilySearch, then use the address to find the image on FMP. It may have changed since I last used FMP!

I haven’t found a way to do this on Ancestry yet, but that’s my fault, not necessarily Ancestry.
Mick Loney

Postby meekhcs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:47 am

Sadly, since they overhauled the FMP website a couple of years ago, it doesn't work in the same way and I haven't found an obvious alternative, although that's not to say it's not there!!

I usually go to Ancestry, and go to the census search, click through to a year set of census records and then a country. I then click on the county on the right hand side of the page and the place and so on. However ifyou are searching in a city or town this is tedious and time consuming and even if you find the address it only gives you a result every ten years.

Street directories and electoral roles or telephone directories may be helpful.
meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:54 am

From memory, to search by address in FindMyPast censuses, you need to go to the individual search form for each census - eg to the 1891 England and Wales census.

But it does depend on what the enumerators entered in the first place and what's been indexed. Beware of whether it's St or Street, etc. Beware also of renumberings and renamings. I spent ages looking for my childhood home in the censuses, never finding anything like that part of the street. Eventually I checked on a map and found that the northern portion (only) of the street had a different name!

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Your query prompted me to go to FMP and ask the question.

The answer is you go to A-Z records from the search button at the top of the page, and then as Adrian has said, scroll down to the appropriate census record, click on it and then enter the address. I found my old address easily in 1911.
meekhcs

Return to General research queries