Moderator Control Panel ]

George Ross

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

George Ross

Postby Bcross-1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:26 pm

I am trying to find the estate on which George Ross was a gamekeeper. George Ross was born in 1811 in Old Deer, Aberdeen shire, Scotland. He married Eliza Cruden June 11, 1836. They had 4 children, Mary Ann, Eliza, William and John. The trail goes cold as to when they left to go Ireland where we pick up the story once again in Kerry Ireland. George became the owner of Muckross Hotel and it was in the family for some 70 years. It is a very interesting story and we have traced down many stories how Geo. entertained Prince Albert at Muckross, His grandson fished with Yeats at Coole at Lady Gregory's etc etc. One story that passed around the family was Geo came with the Herbert family to Muckross as the game keeper. My Husband is now 90 and would like to find the pieces of the puzzle that are missing. I hope I have posted this in the right place. Many thanks in advance if any one can help. ps Geo grandson was always talking about Islay.
Bcross-1

Re: George Ross

Postby Sylcec » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:03 pm

Using Familysearch I see that Mary Ann (10 Mar 1837), Eliza (22 June 1839) and William (27 Feb 1842) were all born in Old Deer, but they don't have an entry for John. Do you also have a record of John being born in Scotland or was he born in Ireland?

Have you looked at the original baptism records on Scotlands People as these may provide additional information, likewise the 1841 census? The 1845 edition of the Statistical Account of Scotland for Old Deer may also be informative - though having scanned through the pages as far as "present state of property" there is no Herbert family named as landholders there.
Attachments
olddeer.jpg
olddeer.jpg (73.25 KiB) Viewed 995 times
Sylcec

Postby Bcross-1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:38 pm

Thank you for your reply. John Ross was born 1844 i Cloghereen, Kerry Ireland. died Jun 6/1887 same place. He married Elizabeth Ashton (b 1845 d. 1916
Bcross-1

Postby Bcross-1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:59 pm

Sorry , my husband say's the Herberts owned large acreage in Ireland (copper). They are connected with Muckross House. He was the MP for Co. Kerry
Bcross-1

Postby woodchal » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:52 am

It would appear that people at the hotel may be able to help as the following forms part of their "history" section of the hotel.

... in the year 1870 when a trusted employee of the Herberts their gameskeeper George Ross took charge of the properties.

THE ROSS FAMILY
The Ross family came to Killarney to work for the Herbert family as gamekeepers. Hailing from Islay in Scotland George Ross went on to run the Muckross Hotel until his death in 1874 when his son John Ross took over until his passing in 1887. At this point Elizabeth Ashton Ross (Johns Wife) took over until her son John Ashton Ross came of age to become proprietor of the Muckross Hotel. The Ross name was connected to the hotel for 76 years more than any other proprietor. It is not clear when but at some stage during this tenure, circa 1906-1911, the Ross Family took ownership of the hotel. During the 1st World War John Ashton Ross went on to serve with the Royal Fusiliers and his death came in 1921 as a result of his injuries in the war. Just a few months previously he had married Ms Margaret Joy a local lady who had worked in the hotel for several years until she went on to become Manageress of the Parknasilla Great Southern Hotel some 30 miles south of Muckross outside the village of Sneem. Mrs Ross went on to run the Muckross Hotel until she herself passed away in 1946, leaving her friend Fr. Dennehy to be executor of her will. The Hotel was sold onto Murphy’s of Dublin at this point so ending the 76 year involvement of the Ross name with the Muckross Hotel.
woodchal

Postby woodchal » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:57 pm

NB "Hailing from Islay"
woodchal

Postby Bcross-1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:28 pm

Thank you once again. Do appreciate your trying to help. We have been in touch with the Muckross hotel and they knew very little about the Ross family once owning it and a lot of the info they did have was not correct so that has been corrected. We were there about 15 yrs ago and went through Muckross house (Herbert Estate)but no mention of a Geo. Ross being a game keeper. However our nephew in Liverpool Eng. (we live in Canada)offered to help us and with a lot of research over the past couple of yrs has pretty well gleaned most of the in in Ireland. It's back in Scotland that we are at a dead end as to where they lived and worked and what esatate. My husband is 90 now so really trying to find lists of staff on estates. The witness on the birth certificates are assist. gardeners. I am slow on computer so it takes me a while to get info from one place to the next. I don't know how to attach on this site. Muckross may of got the "Hails from Islay" when we were corresponding back and forth but the Islay still remains a mystery. My husband was born in Gort Ireland to Geo. Ross grandson of the original Geo Ross that came from Old Deer. Are there staff records on the estate properties. All I could find was the Scot magasine and the pages with births and deaths. Thanks again for helping
Bcross-1

Return to General research queries