Moderator Control Panel ]

RootsWeb and Find a Grave

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

RootsWeb and Find a Grave

Postby Rosemary Collins » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Hello everyone,

Excuse the mass post, but I was hoping to reach out to readers who might be interested in being quoted in a couple of news stories in the next issue of our magazine.

First, as you might have seen, the free RootsWeb website was recently taken down following a security breach. I'm looking to speak to people who used the website for their family history research and have been affected by this loss.

Second, you might have been following the controversy over the new version of the Find a Grave website. I'd be interested to hear family historians' opinions about the new website, whether they like it or dislike it.

If you would like to contribute to either of these stories, please could you email me on rosemary [DOT] collins [AT] immediate [DOT] co [DOT] uk? Thank you!
Rosemary Collins
Editorial Assistant
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Re: RootsWeb and Find a Grave

Postby Guy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 pm

Rosmary, Rootsweb is not one website, but a hosting service containing thousands and thousands of individual websites.
I have a number of websites hosted by Rootsweb.
It also hosts many mailing lists which have had their archive pages taken down even though the mailing lists themselves are still active.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Re: RootsWeb and Find a Grave

Postby Sylcec » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:41 am

Thank you Rosemary! Since sending you an email I have been back into Find A Grave, checked one of the tutorials (No.15) and managed to edit several of my entries to show parents and siblings!
Sylvia
Sylcec

Return to Magazine chat