Moderator Control Panel ]

Mixed bag of records

Found any online record sets or tools that have helped your family history research? Share your discoveries here

Mixed bag of records

Postby Geordie Lass » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:03 pm

I live in East Anglia and most of my ancestors are from Northumberland and Durham - with a sprinkling in Lancashire and some in the USA. One of my favourite websites is:

http://search.labs.familysearch.org

Its a pilot site and part of the LDS Family Search organisation

It provides searchable records such as the 1900 US Census & New York Passenger Arrivals 1892 -1924 plus many others from around the world.

There are also a wide range records to browse and the main ones that I use are the Diocese of Durham Bishops' Transcripts covering many parishes in Northumberland and Durham - not all years but enough to be very useful.
I've had a lot of success mainly finding burials for years pre 1837.
Geordie Lass
Ex-pat geordie researching: Burn, Taylor, Atkinson, Archer (Whickham Co Durham) Bell (Usworth, Co Durham) Walmsley (Lancs & Co Durham) Donnelly (Whickham & Ballymacnab Co Armagh)
Geordie Lass

RE: Mixed bag of records

Postby margaretabram » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:06 am

Thanks so much for the link. It is fantastic! I have Geordie ancestors and within five minutes had broken through a brick wall. Hopefully I'll get some more useful information when I go back onto the site.
Mags
margaretabram

Return to Useful resources