Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 Photo

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

WW1 Photo

Postby eurogordi » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:36 pm

This is a picture of my great uncle, Arthur Stump Lewis, taken around 1915. My family do not have a military history but Uncle Arthur, like so many others, was called up during World War 1. He was born in 1896 and died in 1980. Apart from his wartime service he spent most of life living near Malmesbury, Wiltshire.

However, there are several WW1 veterans listed at National Archives under the name 'Arthur Lewis' or 'Arthur S Lewis' and I'm hoping that somone might be able to give me a clue to the regiment from his uniform. Uncle Arthur never spoke about his military service so we know very little about this part of his life.

All help and/or suggestions appreciated.

Gordon Lewis

[image]local://67/43F6E8DC0B304310AF41D61300FEB42F.jpg[/image]
eurogordi

RE: WW1 Photo

Postby snaphappy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:16 pm

Gordon,

Your rellie was a member of the air force. At time that this photograph was taken he was either a member of the Royal Flying Corps or the Royal Air Force either way he is wearing the plastron fronted tunic of that service. The Royal Flying Corps had been started on 13th May 1912 by Royal Warrant and on the 1st April 1918 it amalgamated with the Royal Naval Air Service to become the Royal Air Force.

snaphappy
snaphappy

RE: WW1 Photo

Postby eurogordi » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:16 am

This is fantastic news. Thank you very much. I had no idea that my Uncle Arthur had been in the Royal Flying Corp / RAF until today. Now I need to consult National Archives to find out more about what he did during the war.

Gordon
eurogordi

Return to Photo identification