Moderator Control Panel ]

John Ellis military uniform WW1? regiment?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

John Ellis military uniform WW1? regiment?

Postby AJMac » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:52 am

John Langworthy Ellis.jpg
John Langworthy Ellis.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 995 times
Photo found among Ellis family memorabilia. Can anyone help identify the regiment from this photo and the likely period please?
AJMac

Re: John Ellis military uniform WW1? regiment?

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:00 pm

Thank you for an excellent photo!

The clue is the collar dog / badge with the number 232. British Army regiments never went up to 232 and while companies in the Engineers, etc, did, they never had their own badge (unless anyone knows better!). Canadian units did go up that high. Australian? Not sure. But the fact that the background to the collar dog is a Maple Leaf is a bit of a give-away that it's Canadian.

The only 232 I can find is the 232nd (Saskatchewan) Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force, on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/232nd_(Saskatchewan)_Battalion,_CEF That implies the unit only existed during WW1 and not for that long.

If you do an image search in Google on "232nd Battalion, CEF" there are 2 badges appear. One has a crouching lion over the number. The other - apparently this one - has a lion's head with an open mouth and less writing.

Your chap's name should appear on the personnel papers held by the Canadian Archives - see http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/search.aspx However, there are a lot of John Ellis and the unit doesn't help me (not sure how they index anyone with multiple units). You may know more details to help find him - but bear in mind that people need not tell the whole truth.

(I now wait the reply that this chap never left Yorkshire! :) )
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help