Moderator Control Panel ]

Geni

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Geni

Postby KayFarndon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:35 am

I discovered Geni by accident and before I join, would like to ask whether there are any forum users who also belong and whether it is a valid site for family historians please?
KayFarndon

Re: Geni

Postby Guy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:56 pm

Geni now is part of MyHeritage, it was formed in 2007 and taken over by MyHeritage in 2012.

In other words it has a good pedigree.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:46 pm

Suggest you have a look at its entry on GenSoftReviews - http://www.gensoftreviews.com/?p=528#reviews

Geni.com certainly has reputable owners, as Guy points out, but it's one of these things that tries to be a World Tree with (eventually) just one entry per person. As such it's only as good as the contributors. This site appears to have curators for certain lines and, based on what I've seen in correspondence (I've not used it), the curators are either applauded for trying to resolve problems where researchers disagree, or lambasted for trying to impose their view on others. And both at once, I wouldn't be surprised.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby KayFarndon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Thank you both.
KayFarndon

Return to General research queries