Moderator Control Panel ]

Alice Dewbury of Waddesdon, Bucks

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Alice Dewbury of Waddesdon, Bucks

Postby woodchal » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:06 pm

PS - I think Launton is in Oxfordshire, albeit on the border with Bucks
woodchal

Postby meekhcs » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Woodchal

Replying to your earlier post Launton would be pronounced "Lawnton". It is 10 miles from Waddesden and is more likely to be associated with Bicester.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:43 pm

From FMP another version of Alice's baptism from the Buckinghamshire Baptism Index which gives the Family's place of residence as Westcott which is close to Waddesden. All other details are the same.
meekhcs

Postby sdup26 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:00 pm

I've searched Westcott, Waddesdon, and Bucks generally, but can't find a marriage or death for an Alice Dewbury (or variants), nor a baptism around the right year for a Sarah. John Dewberry married Sarah Terry in Waddesdon in 1816, but both died in 1827, leaving 5 children. With help from Bucks FHS and a local researcher, I know what happened to Alice's siblings, but no-one could find Alice after 1841.
I couldn't find Sarah before she had Agnes with Hugh Grant, and would have put her down as an ancestor whose origins would have to remain unknown, except for that baptism for Agnes. Why would her mother be 'Alice' at baptism? Unless the priest misheard it, although it sounds nothing like Sarah. Taken with Sarah's birth county apparently being Bucks, and an Alice Dewbury being born there around the same year as Sarah's birth, and then 'disappearing' it seemed worth investigating. And it may be stretching a point, but it's been suggested to me that Alice could have called herself Sarah after her deceased mother.
I'm very grateful to all of you who have taken the trouble to reply.
sdup26

Previous

Return to General research queries