Moderator Control Panel ]

George Duncan born about 1827

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

George Duncan born about 1827

Postby Sucher » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:53 pm

In June 2017, I posted a request for help regarding my great, great grandfather George Duncan and my inability to go further back and trace his parentage the post is here: topic14989.html

I knew his father was named Charles and a confectioner. The members on this forum were so helpful, Jo McKinnon suggested a Charles Duncannon, ianbee and sdup26 were also great but I needed to be sure because some of the dates and places were slightly out.

Today, I was fiddling around FamilySearch and found the 1855 baptism of George's eldest daughter Elizabeth Jane. Father's occupation 'Sergeant in the Guards'. Spot on, and Elizabeth Jane's surname is DUNCANNON.

So, I can now safely incorporate all the information gleaned on the previous post into my records. A huge huge thank you and what a start to the New Year!

Sucher
Sucher

Re: George Duncan born about 1827

Postby JMcK » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Thank you for letting us know.
Happy New Year!

Jo
JMcK

Postby Sucher » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:32 pm

Thanks Jo and of course a very Happy New Year to you.

Elizabeth Jane's sister Clara, was also registered as having the name Duncannon in 1858, so this seems conclusive evidence that George's father was indeed Charles Duncannon. Three later sisters were registered as Duncan. George was using the shortened version of Duncan in the 1851 census, 4 years before Elizabeth was born so I'm left wondering why he registered two of his girls with his original surname.

Best Regards

Sucher
Sucher

Postby Mick Loney » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:11 pm

Sucher,
I’m not all surprised by the name changes. Only this week I was following a John Harrison, and found him changing his name to Harris and then back to Harrison then back to Harris. Some of his children were registered as Harris and some Harrison. I can only assume literacy ( or lack of ) played its part :D
Mick Loney

Postby Sucher » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:48 pm

Thanks Mick for the reassurance. I'm still in a sense of disbelief at having solved this mystery. Charles Duncannon remarried in 1844 after his first wife's death, so now I have his father's name which is John Duncannon. All efforts to find out more about John have failed so far. so if anybody out there with ideas, I'd really appreciate it. Charles was born in Pickering, Yorkshire in 1802.

Sucher
Sucher

Return to General research queries