Moderator Control Panel ]

Egyptian Transit Company

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Egyptian Transit Company

Postby Allison Smith » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:07 am

I have just received a very blurred copy of a document for my Great x 3 Grandfather John White. It is a Memorandum of Agreement between John White and the Egyptian Transit Company for what appears to be him being contracted to work in Alexandria as a Master Carpenter, Joiner and Cabinet Maker. The document is dated 21st day of October 1845.
He is listed as a joiner in various other documents including children’s baptisms and as a ships joiner on the 1841 census, where the family is living at Catherine Street (I think) Limehouse, Tower Hamlets.
I have googled Egyptian Transit Company and have found a document that indicates that the Egyptian Transit Company provided the overland transport for passengers travelling to India via the Mediterranean and Egypt at that time. Does anybody have any further information on the company and their operations in Egypt?
Hoping that someone is able to help with my query.
Allison Smith

Re: Egyptian Transit Company

Postby JMcK » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:30 am

There’s quite a bit, a lot, in the newspapers in particular the Morning post 13July 1843. All about the establishment etc

It looks riveting, The French, a Pacha, a Monopoly, liquidation, resurrection, you will be able to write a novel or a thesis once you have digested it all!
JMcK

Postby Allison Smith » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:57 am

I maybe should have added I am in Australia as John White migrated to Australia with his family in 1849 so I have limited knowledge of research sources available in Britain. It appears he was only in Egypt for a shortish period of time.

Is the Morning Post a newspaper published in London? How is the best way to gain access to view the articles you mention?
Allison Smith

Postby JMcK » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:41 pm

British Newspapers are available at.
https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

I think the same ones are available at Findmypast.co.uk. (That’s where I found the ones I was referring to)

These are both pay sites, but you can subscribe for just a month if you don’t have any other need to use them. On the BNA site you get three free looks.

NZSG membership includes access to GALE newspapers, if you are a member of the Australian soc, do they offer a similar benefit? There is a good letter to THE TIMES there.

I realise as I have been reading that this overland route was replaced by the building of the Suez Canal. And was the way they travelled to India otherwise they had to go right around Africa. Of course! As I read it, but I’ve only been very quickly skimming, they were granted permission to build accommodation for travellers as it took several days to cross from Alexandria to the Indian Ocean. So perhaps that is what your ancestor went there to build.
Judging by advertisements if you travelled that way you had to use a standard overland trunk?
JMcK

Postby Allison Smith » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:33 pm

Thank you for you responses and information. I have had a look and registered on the British newspapers site and looked at one document, now trying to work out which documents are best to use for my other two free documents.
I’ve been a bit spoilt by having free access to Australian Newspapers via Trove, I’m not used to having to pay for the privilege of look at newspapers. New Zealand Newspapers are also free from the one time I have looked at those.
Allison Smith

Postby JMcK » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:19 pm

Yes, we are very fortunate to have such good access to our newspapers. I did check both sites to see if they had reported anything about the Egyptian transit company, but no.
JMcK

Postby Sylcec » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:05 pm

Alison - as an Aussie, by applying for a Readers Ticket for the NLA - which you can do on line - you can also gain free access to a plethora of free digitised newspapers, journals etc. Just check it out! https://www.nla.gov.au/app/eresources/
Sylcec

Postby Allison Smith » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:19 pm

Thanks, Sylcec. What a treasure trove of information you are.
Allison Smith

Postby Allison Smith » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:23 pm

Have applied, now to wait for 1-2 weeks for my card to arrive.
Allison Smith

Return to General research queries