Moderator Control Panel ]

Tried everything I can think of !

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby chines57 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:44 pm

My paternal grandmother ( Maria Pullin) married Henry John Samphire ( b 1854) in 1874 in Gosport Hampshire . In 1881 the family are living in at Durham Court in Chelsea. By 1891 she has returned to Gosport and is lodging with a Charles Herbert. They never married but my grandmother was a child of the relationship (Lucy Herbert Samphire ) What happened to Henry? Presumably he died but I can find no record of his death . A child also Henry John was born in 1887 , christened in 1888 but died . He was recorded as Samphier.
Over many years I have tried to find Henry with every spelling variation I could think of .Henry is not even a relative but the outcome had always intrigued me . Anyone any ideas ? Thanks.
chines57

Postby brunes08 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:23 pm

There is a tree on Ancestry for the Samphire/Samphier family. It indicates that Henry was the father of a child, William, born in Gosport in July 1890. It also states that Henry died in 1891 aged 37 yrs. However, the owner of the tree offers no real evidence for any of this. It may just be supposition because they can get no further than you did. I looked on freebmd for the 1890 birth but there isn't an entry for that.
brunes08

Re: Tried everything I can think of !

Postby trace » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:51 pm

William Ernest Samphire birth registered

4th qtr 1889 Alverstoke Reg Dist

mothers maiden name PULLIN

A further birth in 1892 Alverstoke RD : Thomas Charles Herbert Samphire : mmn Blank
also
Lucy Herbert Samphire 1895 Alverstoke RD : mmn PULLIN
trace

Re: Tried everything I can think of !

Postby JMcK » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:42 pm

At the 1906 marriage of his son Charles Henry, Henry John is down as deceased, but I suppose that could mean anything! However it does say he was a police constable. (Seems an odd occupation to make up if that was what Charles was doing). Have you enquired about police records?

Edit for Lucy, although she says at her marriage her father was Charles Herbert Samphire. She says he was a policeman too. And Charles Herbert doesn’t have that occupation in any census.

Whereas in 1881 Henry John Samohire is a railway signalman which seems like a reasonable starting point towards becoming a policeman
JMcK

Return to General research queries