Moderator Control Panel ]

1860s (possibly overseas) British army marriage

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

1860s (possibly overseas) British army marriage

Postby nlarkin1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm

Hi - I'm trying to find the marriage of William Smith (born about 1840 in Holborn/London) of 2nd Battalion 13th Regiment of Foot and Jane Jones (born about 1850 in Trichinopoly, India according to 1911 census).

As far as I can tell, their first son Alfred was born in 1869 in Gosport, Hampshire, so I imagine they can't have been married long before then, but I can't find any records for their marriage anywhere. William's service record shows that from the late 1850s he was in the Cape of Good Hope, Mauritius, Gosport, Aldershot and then Ireland (where another child was born according to censuses).

Jane's birthplace (and British name) leads me to think she was born into a British army family, so I guess they may have been married either abroad or in Britain. Does anyone know how to reliably search indexes of overseas marriages (I've really struggled to do this) or is there a good source of army marriage records that is searchable?

Many thanks
Nick
nlarkin1

Re: 1860s (possibly overseas) British army marriage

Postby peter kent » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:51 pm

Does anyone know how to reliably search indexes of overseas marriages

The available military marriage indexes are incomplete.

The best option is to apply to GRO overseas section telling them what you know and hope for the best.
peter kent

Postby junkers » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:59 pm

You could try FIBIS (British Families in India) https://www.fibis.org/. As she was born in the Madras area then there may be records at the British Library in London (they hold the India Office records) can you narrow the date (was he on leave at the time?) and place a bit if they married there but perhaps they may not be online.
junkers

Postby MaureenE » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:50 pm

For information about Army BMD, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Chaplains Returns
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Chaplains_Returns
There are some unindexed marriage records which would be worth pursuing. The Fibiwiki page says "Email the GRO with GQ in the subject header, eg "GQ Regimental Marriage Registers", to avoid receiving an automated reply".
These would be the records mentioned by Peter.

It is most likely that Jane Jones was the daughter of a soldier in the same regiment. If you are able to get to the National Archives Kew, the muster rolls for the 2nd Battalion, 13th Regiment of Foot may be a possible source of information.

Cheer
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby nlarkin1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:03 pm

Many thanks - I will chase these up!
nlarkin1

Postby sdup26 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:16 pm

I can't find Jane in the Families in British India databases, nor in British Nationals born overseas, but as others have said, these records aren't complete. Like you, I can't find a marriage for William and Jane, but she confirms her maiden name as Jones when registering the birth of son Alfred Henry Smith in the Alverstoke district in 1869 (became Gosport Reg Dist later).

In case you don't have it, the baptism of son James at St Mary's, Meath, Ireland, was on 16th February 1874, parents William Smith and Jane Jones.
sdup26

Postby nlarkin1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:25 pm

Yes, thanks so much, I do have that record. I was kind of hoping that his service records might have given details about his marriage, but maybe that was wishful thinking. I can't find any census record of Jane in 1861 in Britain, so for now am sticking to idea that she moved to Britain after or just shortly before getting married (if indeed she even did officially get married).
nlarkin1

Postby sdup26 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:41 pm

You say, 'if indeed she even did officially get married' which is a good point. It's always possible that as William was ten years older than Jane, he may have been already married. But only a possibility, so don't let that stop you looking!
sdup26

Postby ianbee » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:34 pm

:lol:
Last edited by ianbee on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
ianbee

Postby junkers » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:29 pm

nlarkin1 wrote:Yes, thanks so much, I do have that record. I was kind of hoping that his service records might have given details about his marriage, but maybe that was wishful thinking. I can't find any census record of Jane in 1861 in Britain, so for now am sticking to idea that she moved to Britain after or just shortly before getting married (if indeed she even did officially get married).

The Irish census records up to 1891 were destroyed which doesn't help, have you tried the Scottish censuses on Scotland's People.
junkers

Next

Return to General research queries