Moderator Control Panel ]

1860s British army marriage

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

1860s British army marriage

Postby nlarkin1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi - I'm trying to find the marriage of William Smith (born about 1840 in Holborn/London) of 2nd Battalion 13th Regiment of Foot and Jane Jones (born about 1850 in Trichinopoly, India according to 1911 census).

As far as I can tell, their first son Alfred was born in 1869 in Gosport, Hampshire, so I imagine they can't have been married long before then, but I can't find any records for their marriage anywhere. William's service record shows that from the late 1850s he was in the Cape of Good Hope, Mauritius, Gosport, Aldershot and then Ireland (where another child was born according to censuses).

Jane's birthplace (and British name) leads me to think she was born into a British army family, so I guess they may have been married either abroad or in Britain. Does anyone know how to reliably search indexes of overseas marriages (I've really struggled to do this) or is there a good source of army marriage records that is searchable?

Many thanks
Nick
nlarkin1

Re: 1860s British army marriage

Postby peter kent » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:54 pm

Duplicate posting.

I answered in the General Research section.
peter kent

Return to Military help