Moderator Control Panel ]

As 2017 comes to a close...

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

As 2017 comes to a close...

Postby pforkes » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:31 pm

I would like to that the many members on this board who over the course of 2017 have proven to be absolutely invaluable in my research.

While I could mention some of you by username, I am not going to in case I miss someone out.

So, thank you to those who have helped me.

At the beginning of this year, I had 4,000 family members in my family tree. Now I have almost 11,000! These are not just random people who I have come across and have added to my tree because they were related to some obscure relative. A long, long time ago I decided to find all of my great, great, great grandparents and to focus just on their descendants. That is what I have been doing and so far those 32 people have almost 11,000 descended relatives (and I still have a lot more to find).

Perhaps the other person who I should specifically thank (if only I knew their name) would be whom ever at the General Register office was responsible for making the decision to make birth and death certificates available as PDF files, over the Web. I have been ordering dozens per week since that decision was made as the U.S. Postal Service will take up to 84 days to get mail to me from the G.R.O (that's up to TWELVE WEEKS) - that is after the G.R.O has taken the time to process them. This one decision alone has meant that I have made phenomenal progress in 2017.

If I can make that kind of progress in 2017 (and seemingly ever year since I started back in 2000 I have made more, accelerated progress than the year before) then 2018 should be pretty amazing.

Thank you all.
pforkes

Re: As 2017 comes to a close...

Postby Guy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:55 pm

pforkes wrote:Snip
Perhaps the other person who I should specifically thank (if only I knew their name) would be whom ever at the General Register office was responsible for making the decision to make birth and death certificates available as PDF files, over the Web. I have been ordering dozens per week since that decision was made as the U.S. Postal Service will take up to 84 days to get mail to me from the G.R.O (that's up to TWELVE WEEKS) - that is after the G.R.O has taken the time to process them. This one decision alone has meant that I have made phenomenal progress in 2017.
Snip

That is easy to answer the main person responsible for the decision to make birth and death certificates available as PDF files was not someone from the GRO they have been doing everything in their power to prevent access by anything other than certificate for over 100 years but was Baroness Scott of Needham Market
Contact details here
https://tinyurl.com/y8trnacq

If it were not for her efforts we would still be receiving the dismal service we have for years from the GRO.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Re: As 2017 comes to a close...

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:57 pm

Guy wrote:... That is easy to answer the main person responsible ... was Baroness Scott of Needham Market ...

Then my thanks and a Happy New Year to the Baroness!
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries