Moderator Control Panel ]

What happened to Theodosia TRIGG?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

What happened to Theodosia TRIGG?

Postby JaneyH » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:23 pm

Despite the unusual name I'm struggling with this particular ancestor. Here's what I know so far. William Trigg and Ann Thomas were married in Westbury-on-Severn in Gloucestershire on 21 August 1788. In total, their children appear to have been (dates are all baptisms/burials):

William 1790
Margaret 1790
Theodosia (1) 1792-1799 (burial record for her in Westbury-on-Severn aged 6)
Ann 1794
James 1796-1864
John 1799
Richard 1801
Theodoriz/Theodosia (2) 1803 - it is this last child that I'm researching.

I have a marriage register entry for Theodosia Trigg and William Gough dated 2 October 1817 for Ruardean (not far from Westbury-on-Severn). I'm slightly nervous about this because if she was baptised as an infant she would only have been aged 14. Both of them mark rather than sign, and the register notes that they were both living extra-parochially. (In the early 19th century many parts of the Forest of Dean were not part of any parish designation, so this is likely to mean they lived somewhere rural rather than in a settlement.) I then have a baptism for Charlotte Gough, daughter of William and Dosi, in Blakeney in February 1818, residence simply described as 'Forest of Dean'. There is another daughter, Elizabeth Gough, daughter of William and Theodosia, baptised in Newnham in September 1827. This is quite a gap between children, but I've so far been unable to find any that would fit in between. At this point, the trail for Theodosia goes cold.

I've traced husband William through most Censuses; in 1861 and 1871 he is living with unmarried daughter Charlotte, and while the records are hard to read it appears he is shown as a widower. He died in 1877 and was buried in Newnham. In 1881 Charlotte is living with her sister Elizabeth Adams (formerly Gough).

Despite all this I'm struggling to find what happened to Theodosia. I haven't (so far) tracked down any likely death or burial records. One theory I'm looking at is that she deserted her husband and daughters and started a new life. The 1851 Census shows a Theodosia Bull living in Taunton, Somerset, giving her place of birth as Newnham, Gloucestershire. Tracing this back I've found a marriage of Thedosia TRIGG (her maiden name) to a George Bull Q2 1846 in Bedminster. Could this be her? The marriage record on FMP shows her as a spinster, but the father's name of William Trigg is correct and one of the witnesses is a Joseph Gough! Any thoughts on this theory - or alternatives - greatly appreciated!

Janey
JaneyH

Re: What happened to Theodosia TRIGG?

Postby meekhcs » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Janey

If she did marry Mr Bull there is a death record in Bridgwater Somerset in 1875 which may be worth investigating.

Name: Theodosia Bull
Estimated birth year: abt 1802
Registration Year: 1875
Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at Death: 73
Registration district: Bridgwater
Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County: Somerset
Volume: 5c
Page: 352

Sally
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:33 pm

On Find my Past there is a brief newspaper account of a Mary Gough assaulting her Mother Theodosia Bull appearing in 22 August 1846 - Bristol Times and Mirror - Bristol, Bristol, England .

Again in FMP I found the following:-
First name(s) Mary
Last name Goff
Birth year 1825
Birth date 20 Jul 1825
Baptism year 1825
Baptism date 04 Sep 1825
Place Newnham & Blakeney
Denomination Independent
Father's first name(s) Wm
Mother's first name(s) Thedosia
County Gloucestershire
Country England
The National Archives reference TNA/RG/4/620
Description GLOUCESTER: Newnham & Blakeney Tabernacle (Independent): Births & Baptisms
Record set England & Wales Non-Conformist Births And Baptisms
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Parish Baptisms
Collections from Great Britain, England

Maybe you will find more baptisms in this record set.

It adds more wait to your theory.BNA may have more newspaper articles.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby JaneyH » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:44 pm

Many thanks, Sally!

I'd not got as far as looking at non-conformist records, so that may be why I've only got two daughters so far - definitely an avenue to follow up. The newspaper article also strengthens the link between Theodosia Bull and her former surname of Gough. Just to make matters more confusing I have another Gough line in this part of my family tree, also in the Forest of Dean area! I wouldn't be surprised if there's a link somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Return to General research queries