Moderator Control Panel ]

Ellen Cleary

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Ellen Cleary

Postby Tobina » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:47 pm

I’m having one last go at finding out what happened to my husband’s gt grandmother.
Ellen Cleary was born about 1859 in Sligo. She married Thomas Tobin in 1877 in Liverpool. They had 3 children, James died 1884, Catherine b.1880 Who married Thomas Hatton in Liverpool & Thomas b 1882. The elder Thomas died in 1882 & Ellen married John Thorngreen from Sweden in Liverpool in 1884. They had 6 children only 2 of whom survived William John b.1890 & Joseph b.1897. The last evidence for these is the 1911 census which gives Ellen with Joseph in Ascot Street Liverpool, but not William.
Ellen had 3 stepchildren, Michael Thorngreen who emigrated to USA & married Mary Jobson, Mary Ellen Thorngreen Who married Thomas Grey & lived in Rochdale & John Thorngreen died 1928.
Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks.
Tobina

Re: Ellen Cleary

Postby phsvm » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:49 pm

Assuming the family are Liverpool based then the chances are that she's buried in Liverpool.

Some years go I found a grave I was looking for in Toxteth Cemetery using a great website called

www.toxtethparkcemetery.co.uk

I've had a quick look the website just now and it appears that it's expanded to include other cemeteries in Liverpool. I did a quick search in Toxteth and didn't come up with any Thorngreen burials but I didn't check the other cemeteries.

I think you should have a look at the site and see if it comes up with anything or, if it doesn't contact the site owner to see if they can help.
phsvm

Postby Tobina » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:27 pm

Thanks for your reply. I should have said that I’d tried the Liverpool cemeteries sites & contacted the cemetery office at Liverpool council to no avail. The sites are very useful as you say, all the other Thorngreens are in Ford cemetery. I’m hoping a descendent of Catherine Hatton or Mary Ellen Grey may see this post. I still don’t know how people can just disappear!
Tobina

Postby phsvm » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:55 pm

The chances of any descendant of either Catherine Hatton or Mary Ellen Grey seeing your post are incredibly small. Have you thought of trying to trace any of them instead of hoping they'll find you?
phsvm

Postby JMcK » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:12 pm

You might have to physically read through the register of deaths. Or develop a very precise wildcard search.

I could not find my own mother in the register despite using wild cards and I knew exactly when and where she had died!
On paging through I found an e was completely missing in what is a long surname leaving a physical space on the page. (I suspect the e hammer on the typewriter was worn) Once I knew that I was able to get a result on Ancestry, but to this day I have not been able to get it to come up on FreeBMD.

I think the space must throw the search algorithm. There is another entry on the same page that on freebmd has an underscore for an uncertain character which is the 5th character in so ABC* ought to find it, but it does not, however ABCD* does, so the page has not been missed and also suggests the wildcards do not work quite as advertised.
JMcK

Postby Tobina » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried to trace the descendants & tried contacting one through Ancestry but they couldn’t help.
I’ll keep trying & hoping.
Tobina

Postby santanna » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:27 am

Have you checked Passenger lists/emigration lists. It's possible she may have emigrated.
santanna

Postby Tobina » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks for the suggestion about passenger list. I’ve searched all that I can but only found Michael Thorngreen who emigrated to Canada then America where he gained citizenship. He is Ellen’s stepson. I’ve also checked crew lists as a lot of this side of the family went to sea.
It’s definitely a brick wall, there are no death records - I’ve checked the GRO from 1911 to 1957,
no immigration or military records & no relatives with information.
Thanks again
Tobina

Postby familysleuth » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:14 pm

Hello - I have just found an ancestry listing for a grave plot in Ford Cemetery for Ellen.
https://www.ancestry.com.au/mediaui-vie ... 87015db8c8

However she has no death date. this is the same cemetery that Elizabeth was buried in. perhaps if you contact PeterT2746 who is the person who owns the tree, he can give you more information. or, if you don't have a subscription, I could contact him on your behalf.
best wishes, Louise
familysleuth

Postby sdup26 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:25 pm

If the burial possibility doesn't prove fruitful, and as Ellen was only 52 in 1911, have you ruled out a re-marriage for her?
sdup26

Next

Return to General research queries