Moderator Control Panel ]

Jewish Heritage Gertrude Arinovsky and Isaac Berlin

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Jewish Heritage Gertrude Arinovsky and Isaac Berlin

Postby pastisyourself » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:34 pm

I am trying to trace the ancestors of Gertrude Arinovsky and Isaac Berlin who married on 12th January 1909 in Liverpool. When they got married they both lived at 25 Moon Street Liverpool. Gertrude was born on 30 September 1888 and she was a dress maker when she got married. Isaac was born on 20th October 1889. He was a tailor and signed the marriage register in Hebrew. Gertrude's father was called Wolfe Arinovsky (peddler) and Isaac's father Hyman Berlin (tailor). Isaac signed his name in Hebrew, so it is likely that there was a Synagogue wedding service.
It is not clear where the family originally came from. The 1911 census suggests Russia, but family think Poland (which was part of Russia in 1911). Some other online trees suggest Lithuania. I cannot find other census records that fit the family and so it is likely that both families came to UK after 1901.
The couple had 6 children Annie Berlin (1910 - 1968), Barnet Berlin (1912 - 1994), Morris Berlin (1914 - 1914), May Berlin (1915), Wolfe Berlin (1921), Lily Berlin (1923). All were born in Liverpool - the family later lived at 187 Upper Parliament Street Liverpool.
I have explored ancestry, find my past, My Heritage, Family Search. I would be grateful if anybody could make suggestions for records that I might explore to take the family lines further. Would Synagogues in Liverpool maintain records that would useful and how might I access these records?
Thank you for any help you can give.

Paul Trimble

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
pastisyourself

Re: Jewish Heritage Gertrude Arinovsky and Isaac Berlin

Postby JMcK » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Have you looked at the JewishGen.org site?
JMcK

Postby Sylcec » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Have you looked at the National Archives for the possibility of Naturalisation records?

The only entry for Arinovsky is in 1947 - so a bit late.
However, Berlin has many possibilities, but I doubt that this was the family's original name, but is rather a shorter and anglicised version of the birth surname. For instance, how do you like the looks of this one?
Naturalisation Certificate: Isaac Berliner. From Russia. Resident in Liverpool....
Reference: HO 334/29/11131
Description:
Naturalisation Certificate: Isaac Berliner. From Russia. Resident in Liverpool. Certificate A11131 issued 18 October 1899.
These records have not been digitised, and a copy needs to be ordered.

On reflection though, if your Isaac was born about 1889, then this person can't be him as too young. I suspect that the above man is the tailor that I find in Liverpool in 1901, m. to Guta and born in Plotek, Russia.
Sylcec

Postby pastisyourself » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:06 am

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. I looked at JewishGen yesterday, but can't find the answer there as yet. I will look again - it is not the easiest of sites to Navigate especially as first names are not used to locate the info. I wonder also if Gertrude would be written differently, and Hyman. I have already found so many different spellings of Arinovsky. I hadn't considered different spellings of Berlin, so that is a good place to look again.

How do you access the Naturalisation records - I have never made use of these before?

Kind regards,
Paul

pastisyourself

Postby Sylcec » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:05 pm

The naturalisation records are only available as indexes on The National Archives site. You can search by name from here: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/. There are also plenty of guides to using the different sorts of records and what is available; start with this one: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/naturalisation-british-citizenship/ and you will find it will give you links to the others anyway.

btw: if you search on "Berlin" you will get results that include the place, so make sure that you use the 'refine' options on the left of the screen, and naturalisation records are in series HO (Home Office).

btw2: if your Russians/Polish weren't naturalised then they may have been subject to registration as aliens during WWI.

Hope this helps a bit.
Sylcec

Postby MaureenE » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:10 am

Perhaps the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain may be able to assist in some way
https://www.jgsgb.org.uk

There is a FamilySearch Wiki page England Jewish Records
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/En ... sh_Records

Perhaps try looking for subsequent records such as death records, or an entry in the 1939 Register. If these people were your ancestors, would DNA testing perhaps give an indication of where they came from?

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby junkers » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:42 pm

The record from the London Gazette you are looking for is I think Isaac Berlin: naturalised 14 October 1957, (https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/iss ... 9/data.pdf), the file at The National Archives is HO 334/411/48281: Naturalisation Certificate: Isaac Berlin. From Russia. Resident in Liverpool, Lancashire. Certificate BNA48281 issued 14 October 1957. This should give his name, usually his wife's name, his date and place of birth as well as the names of his parents and their nationality. Unfortunately this is just a copy certificate and his actual application with correspondence does not seem to have been kept (preserved).
junkers

Postby MaureenE » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:25 am

The city of Vilnius, now in Lithuania, was once one of the largest Jewish centres in Europe. It seems to have been Russian until WW1, Polish for periods after WW1, Russian/Lithuanian post WW2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilnius

Vilna was the name commonly used in English.

Perhaps this area would fit the criteria of Russia/Poland/Lithuania/ mentioned by pastisyourself, in the original post.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby pastisyourself » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:11 pm

Thank you to all who have contributed to this discussion. You have definitely found the right persons naturalisation for Isaac. I would presume he was considered an alien during the first and second world wars? Would his wife's information also be included in the application / certificate information? I will certainly apply for this record. I will also see if I can find synagogue records in Liverpool to see if they give any additional family information.

Cheers,

Paul

pastisyourself

Postby junkers » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:31 pm

His wife's name should be on the certificate but usually just says who the person was married to.
junkers

Return to General research queries