Moderator Control Panel ]

Where's Harry?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Where's Harry?

Postby brianhunt » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi
I'm trying to find out what happened to my 2nd great-grandfather, Harry Hunt (Also referred to sometimes as Henry).
Here's what I have:
Birth: 20 December 1838 • 8 Paddington Street St Marylbone England
lived in St Marylebone, Middlesex, in 1841
His father William passed away on 18 February 1852 in Paddington, Middlesex
Arrival:Vessel: Speedy, 9 Apr 1855 • Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Harry Hunt married Annie/Anne Argent in Sydney, New South Wales, on 15 April 1865
His mother Ellen passed away on 20 March 1866 in Sydney, New South Wales, at the age of 54.
Occupation: Photographer -19 Dec 1868 • Sydney, New South Wales, Australia https://daao.org.au/bio/henry-hunt/
His son Ernest Aubrey born/passed away on 14 March 1866 in Sydney, New South Wales.
His son Henry Montague (born Harry Montagu Argent) was born on 14 March 1867 in Sydney, New South Wales.
His son Walter Edgar was born in August 1869 in Maitland, New South Wales.
Annie/Anne passed away on 15 August 1869 in West Maitland, New South Wales, at the age of 24.
Death of Walter Edgar, 15 Dec 1869 • 102 Forbes Street, Woolloomooloo They had been married 4 years. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/60895799?
Harry last know whereabouts is Devonshire Street West Maitland as in the above article.
His son Henry Montague passed away on 16 December 1927 in Queensland at the age of 60.

There is a death certificate for a Harry hunt in the NSW BMD for 1911 which I obtained but even though it's roughly the correct age I'm not convinced it's our Harry as other information doesn't line up.

What are my options left?

Regards

Brian Hunt
brianhunt

Re: Where's Harry?

Postby JMcK » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:55 pm

From the death cert that you don’t think is correct -are you able to work out just who that man is, so as to definitely prove he isn’t your man.

Jo
JMcK

Postby Sylcec » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:47 am

Yes - I see your problem. From the death index, it is apparent that the informant did not know many details of Harry Hunt, with only his age recorded as 72 and no parent names. Nevertheless, the age is correct. Where was he buried - is there a headstone with any useful information? Maybe you could give us all the details from the death certificate?

In the Maitland Mercury 5 Apr 1879, I note that a "Master Harry Hunt" was highly commended for a pencil drawing at the Hunter Ag & Horticultural show - would he have been the son of your Harry Hunt? He gets additional mentions for his drawings in later papers.

Further browsing around the Maitland papers brings up an obit for "The late Mrs J Dilley" - who had sons including Harry Hunt, 30 Aug 1909. This relevant marriage for this lady was:
4669/1881
DILLEY
JAMES H
HUNT
ELIZABETH ANN
WEST MAITLAND
Sylcec

Postby brianhunt » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:11 am

Hi
Here is the info from the Harry Hunt death certificate. His son's (Henry Montague Hunt) Marriage certificate lists his father as Henry Hunt (we have found it switched between Henry and Harry) with an occupation of photographer, which by other information is correct. https://daao.org.au/bio/henry-hunt/

Also first marriage doesn't line up with https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/166664443
Hunt/Argent

Death Certificate
NAME HARRY HUNT
DATE OF DEATH 14 NOV 1911
PLACE 58 ERSKINEVILLE ROAD, ERSKINEVILLE
OCCUPATION OLD AGE PENSIONER; ELECTRICIAN
SEX MALE
AGE 72
CONJUGAL STATUS
PLACE OF BIRTH ENGLAND
TIME IN AUST COLONIES 62 YEARS IN NSW
FATHER (NONE RECORDED)
OCCUPATION (NONE RECORDED)
MOTHER (NONE RECORDED)
PLACE OF MARRIAGE 1. ENGLAND 2. NEWCASTLE NSW
AGE AT MARRIAGE 1. 23 2. 45
NAME OF SPOUSE 1. UNKNOWN 2. UNKNOWN
CHILDREN OF MARRIAGE 1. 2 FEMALES LIVING; 3 CHILDREN
DECEASED
2. 1 FEMALE LIVING; NONE DECEASED
INFORMANT W W GIBSON, FRIEND, 18 JOHN STREET ERSKINEVILLE
CAUSE OF DEATH SENILE DECAY; CARDIAC FAILURE
LENGTH OF ILLNESS INQUEST UNNECESSARY - STEPHEN MURPHY PM, CITY CORONER, 15 NOV 1911
MEDICAL ATTENDANT
DATE LAST SEEN
DATE OF BURIAL 16 NOV 1911
PLACE OF BURIAL CONGREGATIONAL CEMETERY ROOKWOOD
MINISTER & RELIGION C T WAY, BAPTIST
UNDERTAKER P KIRBY AND SON LTD
WITNESSES WILLIAM WALL GIBSON, ALLEN WORVILL
CREMATION DATE
CREMATION PLACE
CREMATION INFORMANT
CREMATION RELIGION
CREMATION WITNESSES
REGISTERED 16 NOV 1911 - NEWTOWN
brianhunt

Postby Sylcec » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:18 am

I agree with you - it is very hard, impossible even to correlate the information in that death certificate with what other evidence you have for Harry Hunt. Will look further tomorrow.
Sylcec

Postby Sylcec » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:23 am

There are several men named Harry Hunt appearing on the 1903 onwards electoral rolls - provided by Ancestry - unfortunately they haven't got NSW this early on, and of the ones I have looked at in QLD, VIC and WA, none are described as Photographers (but of course, we don't know if Harry was still following this occupation, if indeed he was alive into the 1900s).
Henry Montague is easy to follow through various QLD locations from 1903.

It is unfortunate that you don't have much of a record of Harry after Maitland - although it appears that he was back in Sydney by the end of 1869.

If he returned to Sydney, then there are the Sands Directories and also the Sydney City Rate Books which could be searched. In fact it might even be worth doing this backwards, just to definitely exclude that unlikely death in 1911. http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections
Sylcec

Postby ianbee » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:10 pm

There's a brief mention of a Harry Hunt, photographer, in 1883
No idea if it's the right man
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/107235789
ianbee

Postby Sylcec » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:08 pm

Looks like he must have moved around a bit. Parramatta is 25km west of Sydney and so he won't appear in the Sydney City rate books while there. You could instead try contacting the Parramatta Heritage Centre to see if they have records of Harry Hunt, Photographer. http://heritagecentre.parracity.nsw.gov.au/
Sylcec

Postby brianhunt » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:22 pm

Hi Sylcec

Agree that Henry Montague is easy to follow. We are on Ancestry as well (BrianHunt Family Tree).
Thanks for your help and pointers. It's a very time consuming exercise. I'll investigate a few of your suggestions.
brianhunt

Postby brianhunt » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:50 am

Hi

Sorry, what gave you the following immpression?

It is unfortunate that you don't have much of a record of Harry after Maitland - although it appears that he was back in Sydney by the end of 1869.
brianhunt

Next

Return to General research queries