Moderator Control Panel ]

married twice in Wombourne??

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

married twice in Wombourne??

Postby nuttree » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Surely there weren't two couples with the same names married in the same Church three months apart ??? Can anyone suggest what is going on here and which wedding is the one I want.
The image of the register is on FMP entries Nos 175 & 180 both officiated by the same minister
Aaron PARKES & Sarah FLAVEL married 14 Aug 1797 witnessed by Benjamin PARKES & Lucy FLAVEL
and
Aaron PARKES & Sarah FLAVEL married 6 Nov 1797 witnessed by Mary KENLY & William SADLER

The names are not common so what is going on here any ideas?
Last edited by nuttree on Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
nuttree

Re: married twice in Wombourne??

Postby phsvm » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:58 pm

Based on no experience of this situation so this is just off the top of my head, so to speak.

There were different witnesses so could it be something to do the the legitimacy of the first marriage? The witnesses bear the same surnames as the bride and groom so was there something that barred them from being witnesses? What relationships did they have to the bride and groom? What were Arron and Sarah's ages in the August?

Again, with no reason to back this up, my feeling is that there was some irregularity with the first wedding.
phsvm

Postby peter kent » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:13 am

It wouldn't be anything to do with the witnesses.

Usually this sort of thing indicates some doubt (real or imagined) about the validity of the first marriage ceremony.

Presumably the groom wasn't a soldier?
peter kent

Postby Guy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:48 am

Having looked at the register pages the only suggestions I can make is either there was a problem with the reading of the banns and they were read in the interval or that one of the witnesses was thought to be not a credible witness.
I note in the first marriage entry Lucy Flavel made her mark rather than signing and on the second entry both witnesses signed.
There was no requirement for the witnesses to sign rather than make a mark but possibly there was an objection and it was thought it was better to repeat the ceremony rather than there be doubt.

I also noticed a Josiah Sadler witnessed an earlier marriage on the same page (could the Sadler's be a respectable family and more credible witnesses?)

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby nuttree » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:30 pm

If I am right Sarah was barely 16. ( I have found a burial in 1835 for a Sarah age 53 in Sedgley and a baptism in 1781for Sarah FLAVELL) I wonder if they had not produced parent consent the first time. Many thanks for everyone's interest
nuttree

Return to General research queries