Moderator Control Panel ]

Mother's maiden name?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Mother's maiden name?

Postby LJayne03 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:22 pm

My great grandfather Harry Herbert Hughes 1894-1956 born & died in Huddersfield.
I'm trying to find his mother's maiden name, she's called Emily, and I think her maiden name may be Hakin, but I've come across siblings of Harry and can't find them on GRO with Hakin as the mother's maiden name so I'm unsure

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
LJayne03

Re: Mother's maiden name?

Postby phsvm » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:35 pm

The 1911 census shows the family in Huddersfield which his mother giving her place of birth as Mexborough and his parent's marriage having taken place 39 years previously.

Find My Past has a marriage from the Yorkshire Marriage Transcripts for Mexborough for a marriage on 24 Oct 1872 between Charles Emily Hughes and Emily Hakin. Her father listed as John Hakin.

The mother's maiden name wasn't added to the indexes until 1911 so searching on the GRO won't bring up any maiden names prior to that date. You'll need to actually get the birth certificate to show her maiden name. Harry's birth is registered as Harry Herbert Hughes in the March Q 1894, Huddersfield 9a 336.
phsvm

Postby ColinB » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:21 pm

phsvm wrote:The mother's maiden name wasn't added to the indexes until 1911 so searching on the GRO won't bring up any maiden names prior to that date. You'll need to actually get the birth certificate to show her maiden name. Harry's birth is registered as Harry Herbert Hughes in the March Q 1894, Huddersfield 9a 336.

Sorry phvsm , but that's incorrect. It has been possible to look up mother's maiden name on the GRO site for quite some time now. In this case the registration you mention gives mother's maiden name as Hakin.
ColinB

Postby ColinB » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:27 pm

LJayne03 wrote:, but I've come across siblings of Harry and can't find them on GRO with Hakin as the mother's maiden name so I'm unsure

I haven't checked them all but I found Thomas E registered Doncaster , mmn Hakin and John C , also Doncaster , mmn AKIN - it may just be a case of variant spellings.
ColinB

Postby LJayne03 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Thank you Colin! John was one that I was struggling with, it does make sense that it may be spelt differently

LJayne03

Return to General research queries