Moderator Control Panel ]

How to record adoption in ancestry.com

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

How to record adoption in ancestry.com

Postby woodchal » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:47 am

I have a few instances where a child was born illegitimately to a mother who then married shortly afterwards and the child was brought up by the new husband as his own and the child appears with the husband's surname on all future census returns. This could either be a formal adoption, but more often or not it could be just informal

In ancestry I record the child as having the same surname as the mother, because you cannot infer anything about the biological father, but the child for ever after refers to themselves with the husbands surname. Therefore to get searching to work this name also needs to be in the surname field.

What is the best way to achieve this using ancestry.com - I have resorted to putting both surnames in the surname field but this is not really right.
woodchal

Re: How to record adoption in ancestry.com

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:28 pm

You can certainly add the alternate name - just go to Facts for the person, click Add, and choose Name in the list. It's not frightfully visible afterwards, but it's there.

The issue is that if you then click Search on the profile page or whatever you want to call it, for the person, the search is only done using the primary name.

On the other hand, that's easy to get beyond - when you've hit search and got your 200,000 answers, on that output screen, click Edit Search, go to the Last Name box and enter the alternative surname as well as the original primary surname - then click search again. This gives results based on both surnames This may seem an unhelpful extra step but since I've never got a set of search results that way that I didn't have to tweak massively, I'm not sure it is much extra work.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: How to record adoption in ancestry.com

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:30 pm

NB - Hints seem to come up automatically using both primary and secondary names.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Genealogy chat