Moderator Control Panel ]

Reverend B.Fielder, non-conformist, Glebe Place

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Reverend B.Fielder, non-conformist, Glebe Place

Postby LizzieBvB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone help me by recommending any sources or records for non-conformist reverends? I am trying to find information on a Reverend Benjamin Fielder.

From 1790-1800 he lived at 213 Kings Road, Chelsea, Middlesex. From British history online I found that he died in 1803 ' suddenly at the pulpit'. Supposedly he took over from Reverend Trail as minister of the chapel in Glebe Place, Chelsea. He is referenced in the will of his son-in law for receiving a tea set for his work in the chapel.

I believe he came to be a reverend later in his life.

As this was a relatively affluent area I thought there may be some more references somewhere to his work or how he came to be a non-conformist minister. Unfortunately I am drawing a complete blank and cannot even locate a burial record for him (also no will / probate).

Can anyone suggest anything?
LizzieBvB

Re: Reverend B.Fielder, non-conformist, Glebe Place

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:59 pm

Does it say what sort of non-conformist we're talking about? Because the sources will depend on which denomination...
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:14 pm

He was at Cook's Ground Chapel, if that helps
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=IVs ... g=PA92&dq=
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:13 pm

Warning - I have enough problems getting my head around varying sorts of Methodists, never mind all the other non-conformist denominations, which have a habit of changing names. So, this may or may not be totally accurate...

Ian's reference refers to Cook's Ground Chapel being (later on) "for many years in the Independent Connexion". Which means? Google leads me first to consider the "Independent Methodist Connexion" but that surely can't be it as, according to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Methodist_Connexion, they seem to be too late.

In fact, "Independent" seems to be what later became known as Congregational (the name change dates from the early 1800s). I have a Society of Genealogists book "My Ancestors were Congregationalists" and that lists Cook's Ground as a Congregationalist chapel, so it does appear that I'm on the right track.

Independents (along with Presbyterians and Baptists) go way back in England - Oliver Cromwell was an Independent. It's now part of the United Reform Church.

And of course the reason I'm giving background is that the book doesn't seem to be at all forthcoming about the ministers, only their congregations. There is something called the Surman Index http://www.qmulreligionandliterature.co.uk/research/surman-index-online/sources/ but that doesn't mention Mr Fielder - it does mention Cook's Ground but gives only one minister (for 1837-41). Err, sorry, that's as far as I got...
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:20 am

London, England, Non-conformist Registers, 1694-1931
Name: Benjamin Fidder
Death Age: 73
Event Type: Burial
Birth Date: abt 1730
Burial Date: 27 Jun 1803
Burial Church: Whitefield´s Memorial Church
Burial Place: Camden, Middlesex

it says
(from whence brought) St Luke's Chelsea

Source: London Metropolitan Archives: Whitefield's Memorial Church [Formerly Tottenham Court Road Chapel], Tottenham Court Road, Saint Pancras, Register of burials
Reference Code: LMA/4472/A/01/004

Land Tax 1803 attached
Attachments
Cooks Ground.JPG
Cooks Ground.JPG (41.62 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:32 am

Bit of confirmation from The Evangelical Magazine, (October?) 1804.
Says that Benjamin Fielder died in June 1803.
Attachments
Evangelical Magazine.JPG
Evangelical Magazine.JPG (33.88 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
ianbee

Postby LizzieBvB » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:33 pm

Thank you very much all for your comments. This is information I did not previously know. I was not aware he was preaching for 30 years.

Does anyone know if it would be normal to find an obituary in these circumstances? Perhaps published somewhere I could try finding for extra info on his life?

I presume he was not a particularly wealthy man (I think he may originally have been a weaver) so probably a will is out.

Or are there usually documents / minutes somewhere on how someone gets elected to this post?
LizzieBvB

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:21 pm

It would be sensible to try things like the newspaper collections in FindMyPast first, but I suspect that you might do better with journals, magazines, etc for the relevant denomination - ie, the Independent / Congregational / United Reform Church grouping. Certainly Methodist magazines carry obituaries etc of all sorts of people in the Methodist faith.

I've just been looking at a guide on the Society of Genealogists website and that suggested that Dr Williams' Library might have extensive records relating to the Congregational church. See http://www.dwl.ac.uk/index.php Many of us will be familiar with the DWL because it held the equivalent of parish registers for some non-conformist chapels but you want something rather different and they might have things like magazines etc.

I suggest that you start by looking at the DWL website and see what they have, especially in relation to Independent and Congregational. Your first task will be to simply understand what they have, never mind carry out any research on Mr Fielder. Good luck...

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby jimbo50 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:24 pm

I think the article sums up the election, i.e by 'The Congregation'. I was told by a minister that in the 1820s these churches were actually run by the congregation. Were there Minutes kept ? Does anybody know of any ? I'd be interested to know.
jimbo50

Postby ianbee » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:20 pm

jimbo50 wrote:Were there Minutes kept ?

I don't know, Jimbo. But you have reminded me to look in RG 4, and what we have is -
Chelsea, Cook's Grounds, London
Denomination: Independent:
Births and Baptisms, 1772-1781
RG 4/4179

and
Births and Baptisms,1786-1827
RG 4/4386

The two registers can be seen on ancestry.There were often some notes and observations made when the registers were surrendered in 1837.

The first entry we have is 15 November 1772. Above is written Baptisms at Chelsea by Benjn. Fielder.
Is that a list of Benjamin Fielders original(?) congregation, July 1772, on the next image?

We could see if there were any Fielders baptized there!
One I spotted was Joseph Leigh Fielder. Any relation?

The last registration made by Mr Fielder was on 3 August 1801, the next, by John Bunce junr, was in 1807.
Fascinating stuff!
Ian
Attachments
Joseph Leigh Fielder.JPG
Joseph Leigh Fielder.JPG (55.07 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
ianbee

Next

Return to General research queries