Moderator Control Panel ]

Reverend B.Fielder, non-conformist, Glebe Place

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Reverend B.Fielder, non-conformist, Glebe Place

Postby ianbee » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:44 pm

ianbee wrote:One I spotted was Joseph Leigh Fielder. Any relation?

Since no parents were named, I don't know! There weren't many baptisms performed at Cook's Ground.
Joseph Leigh Fielder died 1843, City of London. Age 53
Assuming there was only one JLF, he was a Sun Fire Office policy holder
Insured: Joseph Leigh Fielder
35 Kirby Street Hatton Garden
gent
19 January 1831
Register at the LMA, ref MS 11936/524/1119414
ianbee

Postby LizzieBvB » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Hi
Thanks what a great find! I think indeed this shows the original congregation list!!

Joseph Leigh Fielder was his grandson. He had several grandchildren also baptized non-conformist (under surname Perry) His son Joseph Fielder was born in 1759 in stepney at an independent chapel in Bull Lane. He was also buried at whitefields memorial church Camden.

I think Benjamin married an Ann Rose on 27 June 1758 as there was a faculty office marriage license granted for this (and I believe this often occurred with dissenters). The dates also match.

There are multiple potential baptisms for Benjamin but it’s difficult to establish his origins.

I was also wondering if there are minutes somewhere as otherwise where do later sources like the books (links above) get their information from about the circumstances of his death???

I have already checked newspaper records and sadly drew a blank. I have also previously wondered about using the Dr Williams library.
LizzieBvB

Postby ianbee » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi
I would agree that the 1758 Camberwell marriage looks likely. There doesn't seem to be much else!
The parish register does say that Benjamin was of Bishopsgate, London.

Then we have those baptisms in the Stepney Independent Chapel, starting with Joseph.

If we are looking for a possible baptism for Benjamin, I suppose the problem is how far back in his family does this nonconformity go? Or was he the first to drift away from the established church?
We can at least hope that the age given on his burial was reasonably accurate. And which makes him born circa 1730.
I can't see anything much, the nearest in time though is certainly a C of E baptism.
Benjamin Fielder, bap 1 Nov 1730, St Botolph Aldgate. Parents Wm + Ann, Houndsch.
One thing in that baptism's favour may be location. Houndsditch, where they were living, might be as close to Bishopsgate as you can get.
Ian
ianbee

Postby jimbo50 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:41 pm

I also wondered about the family's church history. Joseph Leigh's baptism is rather late in life for the times at 5 years old. Could this be his second baptism ?
jimbo50

Postby LizzieBvB » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:11 pm

yes I was wondering if it is likely that Benjamin would be the first in his family to be non-conformist?

I think his son Joseph was also non-conformist as he was buried in a non-conformist burial ground in 1819. (Whitefields memorial church - which I think is no longer there?). His son married a Sophia Leigh (b.1759). There are no traces of non-conformity in her family.

The non-conformity continues a few generations. For most of the great grandchildren benjamin had via his granddaughter Anne Fielder (married to a John Perry) there are also non-conformist baptisms. So I presume they maintained the family beliefs (even though their father seems to have been active in the CofE church St Lukes).

However, it would be really nice to know where the non-conformity originally came from (though probably impossible to trace).

There is a London Freedom of the city original dated 1845 which mentions a Benjamin Fielder who was apprenticed to an OBediah West (a weaver). This lists the Benjamin as son of a William. I am wondering if this is the same Benjamin.

Would Benjamin have maintained another occupation as well as being a dissenting minister? Presumably he would have had to?
LizzieBvB

Previous

Return to General research queries