Moderator Control Panel ]

Recent GRO certificate

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Recent GRO certificate

Postby helen.norton » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi. I want obtain a copy of a death certificate for someone who who died recently and am wondering if the GRO would hold a copy of it? I won't post names etc for privacy reasons but I know an inquest was held at the very beginning of April this year but I'm not sure of any other specific details, other than the place of death. The local register office application form asks for quite specific information, which I'm unable to supply, so I feel like the easiest option would be to apply through the GRO, but would they have a copy of it yet? Presumably it would have been registered sometime in April after the inquest, but how often are events forwarded to them? Are they still done quarterly? The site just says that applications for events within the last 6 months (18 for marriages) cannot be made so I'm not sure if I'm safe in entering the basic info and then letting them conduct a search for me? Thanks in advance for any advice
helen.norton

Re: Recent GRO certificate

Postby maxine tallon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:02 am

I'm not 100% certain but I think the GRO would ask for the same information the local registry office asked for. You could try phoning the GRO and asking them I have always found them very helpful. Recent certificates are always difficult to obtain unless you can provide the information asked for.

maxine
maxine tallon

Postby AntonyM » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:11 am

Order by phone from the register office - as long as you know the name of the person, and the approx date of death (and inquest) then that should be enough.

The death will have been registered after the inquest, not when it occurred.
AntonyM

Postby Guy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:31 am

AntonyM wrote:Order by phone from the register office - as long as you know the name of the person, and the approx date of death (and inquest) then that should be enough.

The death will have been registered after the inquest, not when it occurred.

Wise words here from Antony.
My father-in-law died in April 1994 but due to an inquest his body was not released for burial until November 1994.
These things do not happen quickly and there can be long gaps between a death and registration.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby helen.norton » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks to you all for the advice. My first thought was to go through the local register office but the online ordering form seemed very long winded and detailed, whereas the GRO just ask for name/approx date/age (which I can supply) but I just wasn't sure if they would have a copy of it yet as it just mentions the 6 month period and it may be cutting it a bit fine if there were any extra delays.

Unfortunately you don't get to speak to a registrar when ordering with this particular area, it's just a call centre assistant at the council who takes the info, so I wasn't sure what the best approach would be. In terms of the delay, I believe they died about 5 months before the inquest date so I agree it's probably best to phone and give what info I have and presumably the office will get back to me if there's a problem
helen.norton

Return to General research queries