Moderator Control Panel ]

LANE from Abbyfeale, Limerick, b. 1830s

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

LANE from Abbyfeale, Limerick, b. 1830s

Postby Sylcec » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:15 am

Hoping that Shane Wilson may see and help out with this query.
I have an Irish sister and brother who turn up separately in Australia both say born Abbyfeale, Limerick, parents James and Margaret. Ellen LANE born about 1834 - 16 years old when she arrives as one of the last of the "Earl Grey Famine Orphans" in 1850 on the Tippoo Saib; and John LANE who leaves Liverpool on the David McIver 22 Nov 1855. Father James must be deceased, but shipping records indicate that their mother Margaret is still alive and living in Abbyfeale when John travels.

Problem is - I have accessed and trawled through several years (1830-1836) of the Abbyfeale parish registers on [url]registers.nli.ie[/url] but having the greatest difficulty in identifying the family - may be because of the unfamiliar Latin format - or maybe they're not there. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

While I'm at it, can I push my luck and also mention Mary HYLAND who arrives 25 Jan 1855 on the Rajasthan from Kilbehenny, Limerick - born about 1839 - same problem. (She goes on to marry John LANE in 1858 or 1859)
Thanks for any help you can give. Sylvia
Sylcec

Re: LANE from Abbyfeale, Limerick, b. 1830s

Postby shanew147 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:34 am

I found a possible sibling to John and Ellen - so may least confirms the denomination, parish and timeframe... a Margaret Lane baptised 27th ... 1830 Abbeyfeale RC parish, parents James & Margaret. I think Margaret's surname is Hickie (Hickey), the godparents John Connors and Joanna Lyne - see entry 197 on the right page. The register is a little disorganized ... will have a look for other children later and update here...
shanew147

Postby shanew147 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:16 pm

That baptism of Margaret is the only RC baptism I can find in Abbeyfeale or any of the adjacent parishes with parents James & Margaret. Are you certain your Lane family were RC ?

The denomination on the Tippoo Saib record for Ellen seems to be 'C of R' for that page, presumably Church of Rome (most show denomination as RC or CofE). The only Ellen I found in the area was baptised much later in 1846 to Enda & Agnes. The baptism records for the parish go back to 1829, so maybe if Ellen was a little older that she thought so her baptism may have been too early for the available records.

There are a couple of John Lane baptisms in the parish - only one of which in 1831 has a father named James - the mother is a Mary 'Hir', possibly a phonetic version of Hehir.

Might be worth chasing up marriage & death certs for Ellen and/or John to see if mother's maiden surname was recorded - could help to confirm if that Lane family I mentioned is correct.
Last edited by shanew147 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shanew147

Postby ianbee » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:02 pm

There's this one that might link to Margaret of 1830
Daniel Leane
Baptism date 7 June 1840
Parish Abbeyfeale
Diocese Limerick
County Limerick
Father Jacobo
Mother Margarita (Hickey)

similar....
Malea Leant
Baptism date 5 Feb ? (1836)
Parish Abbeyfeale
County Limerick
Father Jacobo
Mother Margarita Hickey
as per index on fmp

Leans and Lynes in the Abbeyfeale tithe book.
ianbee

Postby Sylcec » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:40 pm

Thanks for looking both of you. I know that ages/years of birth shown on different records can be a bit suspect for various reasons.

I have Joanna Lane b. 7 Jan 1862 nr Mudgee, NSW - I originally had her pegged as a daughter of some early Methodist pioneers from Cornwall, and was quite shocked when I got her birth transcript a couple of days ago to discover that no, she was daughter of Irish RC migrants shown as John LANE, 27, and Mary IRELAND, 23. That in itself was a problem as John is elsewhere shown as John LEANE, and Mary as Mary HYLAND!

Anyway, was pleased to be able to find their immigration which gave information about parents and parish and in the case of John, the fact that his sister was already in the colony. Her record had same details as his, from which I concluded that their father James LANE was deceased by 1850 but mother Margaret was still alive in 1855 when John left Abbeyfeale.

As for Mary Hyland, she gave her parents names as John HYLAND and Johanna of Kilbehenny (sp?) so it looks as if 'my' Johanna was named after her maternal grandmother.

It does look likely that the mother of the LANE/LEANE/LYNE etc children may have been a Margaret Hickey - now to try and find a marriage of her to James Lane - and I think you are indicating that 'Jacobi' is the Latin representation of James?

Thanks again, will try and persist with it.
Sylcec

Postby ianbee » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Sylvia, what do you know about Ellen?
It looks to me that she might have married Michael Shea in 1851 in NSW
Since a Michael Shea put an advertisement in The Sydney Morning Herald the following year, including this info about his wife
REMARKS.—Maiden name, Ellen Lane ; a native of Newcastle, Ireland ; arrived in August, 1850, an orphan girl, per ship Tippo Saib.

I ask because of the Ellen Lane in the Immigration Deposit Journals, re a John Lane and a Timothy Lane (born circa 1831) wanting to come/not arriving
Timothy later seems to have married Mary?

But, with or without any wife!, a Timothy Lane of the same sort of age, does arrive in NSW in 1859.
There is a death in NSW in 1900 of a Timothy Lane, parents in the index are James and Margaret.
And a burial at Rookwood Cemetery, 3 Dec 1900, of Timothy Lane, age 69. Died 1 Dec.
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:39 pm

New South Wales, Australia, Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1828-1896
Name: Timothy Lane
Birth Year: abt 1831
Arrival Date: 7 Apr 1859
Vessel Name: Nimroud
Origin Location: Shenagolder, County Limerick, Ireland

Aha!
Native place Abbyfeale
sister Mrs Ellen Sheehy?
Attachments
Timothy Lane 1859 Nimroud.jpg
Timothy Lane 1859 Nimroud.jpg (35.92 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:49 pm

Sylcec wrote:It does look likely that the mother of the LANE/LEANE/LYNE etc children may have been a Margaret Hickey

Yes it seems likely.
But it does seem a little odd if there were three children after Margaret, born within a few years of each other, and no baptisms of any of them found in Abbeyfeale.
I don't know what name that 1836 baptism is supposed to be. It may be a tight squeeze to fit them all in, but not impossible?
Ian
ianbee

Postby Sylcec » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:00 pm

Ian - thank you so much for following that up. What a surprise but good corroboration on sibling and parent relationships. I certainly agree that it is very strange not to find baptisms of these children in Abbeyfeale - my understanding, certainly as regards RCs is that baptism would follow very shortly after birth. Some pages of the register were very dark near the bottom edge and as you pointed out, some had extra entries squeezed in, so maybe the ones we want are just illegible.
Sylcec

Postby Sylcec » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:20 pm

My goodness - took me ages to find it but yes, here is the marriage reference for Ellen, marriage at St Marys RC Cathedral, Sydney:
332/1851 V1851332 97
SHEA, MICHAEL to LANE, ELLEN, LD
Looks like they had a couple of children at least:
SHEA THOMAS; 3425/1851 V18513425 37A; MICHAEL, ELLEN
SHEA MICHAEL; 643/1857 , MICHAEL, ELLEN, SYDNEY

There were 3 others but born up the north coast, and possibly different parents:

SHEA ELIZA J
12322/1858
MICHAEL
ELLEN M
TABULAM

SHEA JANE A
12451/1860
MICHAEL
ELLEN M
TABULAM

SHEA ROBERT
14428/1866