Moderator Control Panel ]

Suffolk baptism images info please

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Suffolk baptism images info please

Postby Simon45 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:53 pm

Hello
Whereabouts can I find the baptism images of Suffolk , 1820 - 1900

As there are only transcriptions available on the ancestry/ find my past / family search sites etc ....

Thank you
Simon

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Simon45

Re: Suffolk baptism images info please

Postby carobradford » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:53 pm

The originals of most Suffolk parish registers are held at the Suffolk Record Office. You can ask them to provide a photocopy of an entry of interest for a small fee if you have the details. Alternatively, if there is a transcription available via Family Search, the LDS will have filmed the registers. In the past, one could order the relevant film into ones nearest FHS, but this has now been discontinued as the LDS are rapidly digitising all the films. You need to identify the film number (which should be cited as the source of the transcription) and find out whether it has been digitised yet. If it has, you will be able to view the digital images at your nearest FHS.
carobradford

Postby peter kent » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:14 am

Whereabouts can I find the baptism images of Suffolk

Do you mean parish registers (ie CofE) or non-conformist or something else?

If parish registers, make a list of which parishes and check what the Society of Genealogists may have (in the library and in the FamilySearch collection that they now house).
peter kent

Postby ianbee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:16 pm

via Rootschat, re digitisation of Suffolk records
https://twitter.com/KeyToThePast/status ... 6112854016

and as for The Hold
https://www.suffolkarchives.co.uk/the_hold/
ianbee

Postby Simon45 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi
Ok I see that's great news :)

I've sent Suffolk archives an e mail to see if they can send me the baptism images

Thanks again
Simon

Simon45

Postby junkers » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:06 pm

I wish you the best of luck, if I was working in Suffolk Record Office I would be asking 'all of them'?. I would suggest limiting it to a parish and smaller time period, there are probably around a million entries.
junkers

Postby Simon45 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:02 pm

I managed to find the church and town I need the images from as well as year

Simon45

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:59 am

Further to a previous comment, FamilySearch are now making the images available on-line, so you don’t necessarily have to visit local FH centre.
Do a Catalog search for the place, select on-line, and it will list all records for the place that are available on-line. Look for church records, and if an entry shows a camera symbol, they are available to browse.
You may need to register (free, with no obligations regards LDS church) to browse them.
Mick Loney

Postby Simon45 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:51 am

Hi
Ok I will look on that site
Thank you

Simon45

Postby carobradford » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:20 pm

Mick Loney wrote:Further to a previous comment, FamilySearch are now making the images available on-line, so you don’t necessarily have to visit local FH centre.
Do a Catalog search for the place, select on-line, and it will list all records for the place that are available on-line. Look for church records, and if an entry shows a camera symbol, they are available to browse.
You may need to register (free, with no obligations regards LDS church) to browse them.

This is, alas, a long way from being an accurate reflection of the situation. A few sets of parish registers are available to browse from home on FamilySearch, but the vast majority are only available to view on computers at a FHC or LDS affiliate library.
carobradford

Next

Return to General research queries