Moderator Control Panel ]

Suffolk baptism images info please

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Suffolk baptism images info please

Postby Simon45 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Hi
Yes I agree
I have had to contact Bury St Edmonds family history section with names / dates etc
They can scan the images for me for £7 each

But it says it takes up to 4 weeks to do this

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Simon45

Postby Mick Loney » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:11 pm

I didn’t mean to imply that ‘all’ images are available to view, just that many are. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Many of the images that are available via this method have not yet been indexed, so browsing these images may be the only way to get the information you are looking for. It often pays dividends to browse these images, following an unsuccessful search of the indexes.
Mick Loney

Postby carobradford » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:49 pm

Indeed. I just wanted to point out that the LDS digitisation project is not quite as advantageous for the armchair genealogist as it might appear at first glance, and that the camera symbol did not mean that records were viewable from home. Plus at least some PRs and BTs which were viewable online from home have now switched to FHC only.
carobradford

Postby Simon45 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Please can someone send me the link to view these images
Thank you :)

Simon45

Postby ianbee » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:41 pm

Simon, the situation with the films listed in the LDS catalogue on FamilySearch is
camera icon = you can view the film at home
camera icon with a key above it = you can only view it at a Family History Centre/FamilySearch affiliate library.

It is true that for films in a few counties you will see a camera with key icon when not logged in to FamilySearch, but when you log in the key disappears and you find that you can browse the film at home. For example many records for Sussex, Warwickshire.

It may be interesting to see if anything at all different happens on FamilySearch this week when the change to registered account only access takes place.

Occasionally we find a film unexpectedly "unlocked", such as we did with Cudham in Kent the other day, when we were able to get hold of that Smith-Batchelor marriage record.
Sadly, the Suffolk films that have been digitized by the LDS are locked up tight on FamilySearch!
Ian
ianbee

Postby Simon45 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:00 pm

I have recieved the baptism images from Suffolk
Good service , only took 4 days :)

Simon45

Previous

Return to General research queries