Moderator Control Panel ]

Albert Edward Jackson WW1

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Albert Edward Jackson WW1

Postby tinkersuz85 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi I am looking to find what happened to my 2xgreat-grandad who fought in WW1 he died and was in the 35th regiment in the army. He has a grave in Belgium. He died in 1917 age 31. he was from Scotland and moved to Uxbridge when he was 7 with his family. We have the death plaque which is heavy brass. If any one can help me find out how he died and also I was told by my nan that he was in the Uxbridge Gazette which has a picture. He also had a moustache if that helps.

thanks

Suzzanne
tinkersuz85

Re: Albert Edward Jackson WW1

Postby Sylcec » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:02 pm

Think this is your man from the CWGC site:
PrivateJACKSON, ALBERT EDWARD
Service Number G/35829
Died 12/08/1917
Aged 31
35th Bn.
Royal Fusiliers
transf. to (62015) 104th Coy.
Labour Corps
Son of George and Sarah Ann Jackson; husband of Annie Jackson, of 29, Whitethorn Avenue, Yiewsley, Middx. Native of Glasgow.

More info about the cemetery from CWGC: For much of the First World War, Vlamertinghe (now Vlamertinge) was just outside the normal range of German shell fire and the village was used both by artillery units and field ambulances. Burials were made in the original Military Cemetery until June 1917, when the New Military Cemetery was begun in anticipation of the Allied offensive launched on this part of the front in July. Although the cemetery continued in use until October 1918, most of the burials are from July to December 1917.

You can read something about the Labour Corps here: http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-labour-corps-of-1917-1918/

I expect one of our military experts will be better placed to suggest whether he died from sickness, or injury from enemy action.
Sylcec

Postby meekhcs » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:10 pm

Suzzanne

May I suggest you email Lt. Co.. John Starling (Retd) at jstarling.cmt@da.mod.uk

This gentleman is an excellent authority on the Labour Corp, and was enormously helpful to me as I tried to piece together the activities of my Gt GrandFather in WW1 in Belgium who was also in the Labour Corps.

Unfortunately there are virtually no War Diaries for the Labour Corps, but Lt. Col. Starling has pieced together in a book,the name of which escapes me at the moment but which I borrowed through my local library, the activities of the different Corps throughout WW1. Whilst I doubt that he will be able to tell you how your Gt GrandFather died he hopefully maybe able to tell you where he was at the time of his death and/or what he was involved in.

Although he doesn't demand a fee for his research he does suggest a very small contribution to an Army Charity.

The Captain of the Corp would write to the widow/parents of the deceased, and these letters very often were printed in the local newspaper so it may be worth contacting them. I imagine they will have a local archive .

Sally
meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Sylcec wrote:Think this is your man from the CWGC site:
Private JACKSON, ALBERT EDWARD
Service Number G/35829
Died 12/08/1917
Aged 31
35th Bn.
Royal Fusiliers
transf. to (62015) 104th Coy.
Labour Corps

Taking Sylvia's find forward.... On the CWGC site https://www.cwgc.org/, if you go to Advanced Search : War Dead and look for "Last Name = Jackson", "Service Number = G/35829", you get Albert Edward. Go to his View Record and it doesn't say anything about how he died, just what Sylvia found. But down at the bottom is a fairly new section CWGC Archives - click the Grave Registration bit and you'll see 2 images. The first doesn't have much new, but mentions his Labour Corps details. The second image is basically the text of the CWGC entry above except that it has this extra sentence:
Killed in action, at Ypres,12th Aug, 1917

So that says a little bit about what happened to him - that it was during the Battle of Ypres 1917 (a.k.a. the Third Battle of Ypres or Passchendaele) and that he was "Killed in Action".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killed_in_action explains that this means that he was killed by enemy action - it doesn't mean he was in combat - it would be unusual for a Labour Corps unit to be in combat. "Died of Wounds" is used of someone who reaches a medical facility. So maybe a shell or bomb burst among his work gang, or perhaps they were caught up in a German raid. More than that, I have no idea.

Now comes a bit of a puzzle - back in the CWGC Archives, click the Headstone bit and you'll again see 2 images. The 2nd image shows what's supposed to be on the headstones. And AE Jackson is recorded as having number G/35829 and a regiment of Royal Fusiliers, not his Labour Corps details. Why the earlier stuff appears, I have no idea. It would be interesting to see what's on the stone - the earlier Royal Fusiliers or the later Labour Corps?

As for the relation between those units, if you go to http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/royal-fusiliers-city-of-london-regiment/, and find the entry for the 35th Battalion, it tells you that this was a Labour Battalion from the start - i.e. it always was support services rather than combat troops, and in April 1917 this unit was one of several such Labour Battalions that became the 99th to 108th Labour Companies, Labour Corps. So the whole unit was re-designated rather than individual guys being moved over. http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-labour-corps-of-1917-1918/ is about the Labour Corps itself.

So far as I can see, Albert's papers were amongst the many burnt in WW2. But there's an extraordinary bit to be found in FindMyPast (possibly in Ancestry but I don't think it's directly indexed on Ancestry, so I've no idea how to find it). Go to FindMyPast / Military /First World War and search for Last Name = Jackson with Soldier Number 35829 (just that - do not put the "G/" bit in). You will find an entry for Albert Edward Jackson - the index / transcript includes the phrase
Originating Record WO 363. 47105 John Robert George Burgoynel, Northamptonshire Regiment

What the image is, is something found in the middle of someone else's papers. Possible in the middle of John Burgoynel's? Burgoyne? Anyway, use the left pointing arrow to see the previous page (image 620 it says at the bottom), and you will see that this is a Court of Enquiry into an accident that occurred to someone in the 35th Labour Battalion. Use the right pointing arrow to get back to image 621 and you get a statement from Albert himself, describing unloading sheets of corrugated iron from railway tracks and the accident that happened to this other chap. That is pretty special - it must be close to his exact words from a century ago...
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sylcec » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:17 pm

Wow - I sort of knew that you would come up with much more Adrian!
Sylcec

Postby meekhcs » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:14 am

Adrian wrote

Now comes a bit of a puzzle - back in the CWGC Archives, click the Headstone bit and you'll again see 2 images. The 2nd image shows what's supposed to be on the headstones. And AE Jackson is recorded as having number G/35829 and a regiment of Royal Fusiliers, not his Labour Corps details. Why the earlier stuff appears, I have no idea. It would be interesting to see what's on the stone - the earlier Royal Fusiliers or the later Labour Corps?

Adrian My Gt Grandfather transferred from the Royal Berkshire Regt.to the Labour Corps. I visited his grave in Kandahar Farm Cemetery outside Ypres in July this year and his stone records him as being in The Royal Berkshire Regt.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:12 am

How interesting, Sally.

I wonder if it's a Labour Corps thing, or if I've missed what regiment appears if he's been in more than one?

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby tinkersuz85 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:40 am

hi Adrian I cant access the item you found as I don't have membership to find my past. if you could copy and post I would be ever so grateful.

also thank you to everyone who is helping me or helped I am truly in your debt forever.

love
suzzanne
tinkersuz85

Postby meekhcs » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 am

Suzzanne - The book I mentioned above is "No Labour No Battle" by John Stirling and Ivor Lee. My Gt Granfather died July 16th 1917 during the preparations for the 3rd battle of Ypres. He is buried at Kandahar,9 miles south east of where your Gt Grandfather is buried. If ever you have the chance do visit. The cemeteries are beautiful places.

Adrian - I wonder if the Army simpy used the Regiment into which they first enlisted. Their Families would have known the Regiment they enlisted into but not necessarily where they had been transferred to.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby peter kent » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:18 am

The long,long trail site says that the Labour Corps was unfairly treated as if it were inferior to 'proper' regiments. For that reason casualty lists tended to state the man's previous regiment rather than the Labour Corps.
peter kent

Next

Return to General research queries