Moderator Control Panel ]

Albert Edward Jackson WW1

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Albert Edward Jackson WW1

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:35 am

meekhcs wrote:... Adrian - I wonder if the Army simply used the Regiment into which they first enlisted. Their Families would have known the Regiment they enlisted into but not necessarily where they had been transferred to. ...

The bulk of the inscription came from official documentation and that would have given name / rank / number / unit, etc. I believe that the families supplied the sentence or two of biography that we may see on the CWGC site and could supply an inscription to go onto the stone - for which they had to pay on a per-letter basis!

The one multi-regiment death in my lot that I know of, has, according to the CWGC scans attached to his CWGC record, his last regiment on his headstone.

I suspect that it's something like what Peter alludes to - there's a sense in which they still belong to the original regiment. I feel a post to the Great War Forum coming on but that'll have to be later in the week - no time just now.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sylcec » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:21 pm

Suzanne: you asked
I don't have membership to find my past. if you could copy and post I would be ever so grateful.

As this would breach the terms of subscription/copyright, we are not able to post images etc from sites such as Findmypast. Many - ?most - public libraries have library subscriptions to Ancestry, Findmypast and possibly other subscription sites, so you should be able to access the records you want that way.
Good luck! Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby tinkersuz85 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:19 am

Sylcec wrote:Suzanne: you asked
I don't have membership to find my past. if you could copy and post I would be ever so grateful.

As this would breach the terms of subscription/copyright, we are not able to post images etc from sites such as Findmypast. Many - ?most - public libraries have library subscriptions to Ancestry, Findmypast and possibly other subscription sites, so you should be able to access the records you want that way.
Good luck! Sylvia

Thanks Sylvia I'll try that I'm going to google my local library online and see if they do that.

Thanks again

Suzzanne
tinkersuz85

Postby meekhcs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:15 pm

Suzzanne FMP etc often offer 14 day free trials. The only thing you have to be careful with these is that they will ask for card details when you set these trials up,so you need to make sure you cancel the trial within the 14 days or they will charge a subscription fee if you don't.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby ianbee » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:36 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:You will find an entry for Albert Edward Jackson - the index / transcript includes the phrase
Originating Record WO 363. 47105 John Robert George Burgoynel, Northamptonshire Regiment

What the image is, is something found in the middle of someone else's papers.

There must be some kind of mix up here.
The court of enquiry was into the accident that befell Pte J R George
He was a John, although his number was 39341 (not 47105)

The first image we see on findmypast seems to relate to a different case? Re a L/Corpl George in September 1916

We can see the images on ancestry!
Some papers relating to J R George, 39341, 35th Battalion, R Fusiliers, are mixed up with at least one other man.

They can be found through this chap's record on ancestry, in British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920
Name: John Robert George
Birth Date: abt 1893
Enlistment Age: 23
Marriage Date: 17 Nov 1917
Marriage Place: Draughton
Document Year: 1916
Residence Place: Brisley Elmham SO
Regimental Number: 4543835
Regiment Name: Northampton R Fusiliers
Number of Images: 4

Why does it say 4 images?
First image for him on ancestry is 20009
Image number of the Court of Enquiry for the other J R George is 20036
With Albert's testimony on the next image, 20037

To me, they look better on ancestry!
And I'm not convinced that John Robert George Burgoynel ever existed?
Ian
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Thanks Ian. I've never understood how FindMyPast's ancillary "found within" stuff works. In that instance, Albert's presence in that Court of Enquiry is fine - it's 2 images. Quite why FMP's left arrow carried on, to another Court of Enquiry, wasn't immediately obvious to me. Given that the frame numbers off the microfilm were radically different, I just assumed that it was all a bit of a mix with "muddle" as the best explanation.

Anyway, we have a way to Albert's testimony in both Ancestry and FMP now, thanks.

And it must be a distinct possibility that Mr Burgoyne(l) is an indexing error given the other chap's name - accounts for why I couldn't find him when I did take a quick look at Ancestry.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Previous

Return to General research queries