Moderator Control Panel ]

Thomas family of Wales brick walls

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Thomas family of Wales brick walls

Postby Coddjan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:44 pm

I hope that someone can help with these brick walls of mine.
1. My Gt Gt Grandfather John Thomas died on the 20th December 1916 aged 63 years. He was a postman/insurance agent and lived at Post Office House, Pontardawe, (Rhyndoy) Clydach in Wales. The problem I have is trying to find his birth and his parents.
He married my Gt Gt Grandmother (Mary Elizabeth Edwards) on the 17th June 1876 at St John's Church in Clydach, his address was only recorded as 'Pontardawe'. On the marriage certificate, his father is recorded as John Thomas, Carpenter. In the 1881 census, the family are living in Stockton-on-Tees and John is described as a Millwright Labourer from Carmarthenshire. By 1890, when my Gt Grandmother was born, they were still living in Stockton-on-Tees and John was described as an Insurance agent on the birth certificate.
The 1891 census, he is described as an Insurance and Commission Agent from 'Wales'. In 1901, the family were in Scotland and he is now a Life Assurance Superintendent again from 'Wales'. However, his birth year is given as 1854 in this census. The 1911 census, states that he is from Llanfihangel Aberbythych (LA) and speaks Welsh and English. I have not been able to find his birth, or any trace of him in the 1871 or the 1861 censuses.
2. I have found a John Thomas (Senior) who is described as a Timber Merchant/Retired Carpenter in the 1871 and 1881 censuses living in Llandilofawr (close to LA) with Elizabeth M Thomas his wife. In the 1851 census, he is living with his father, David Thomas and his mother, Ann Thomas he was aged 25 and a widower with his daughter, Margaret aged 1 year (his 1st wife, Margaret died in October 1849). I have assumed that John Thomas (Senior) is the John Thomas, Carpenter mentioned on the marriage certificate, but have no proof. I have not found any marriage entries for either marriage.
Can anyone help with this? A family story tells that when John Thomas' (senior) died, his estate was left to his wife (Elizabeth M Thomas), and she in turn left the 'money' to her children from her first marriage. These people had the surname Jones, and another family story, tells that John Thomas (junior) died after 'walking over a mountain to visit his brother Llewellyn Jones' in Pontardawe. Newspaper reports of his death, however, suggest that he was on his postal round. Any help with these brick walls gratefully received.
Coddjan

Re: Thomas family of Wales brick walls

Postby ciderdrinker » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi
Have you seen the 1861 census at Tynongoch, Llanfihangel Aberbythych, Llandilofawr,
David Thomas 67 farmer of 41 acres Llanarthney
Ebenezer 29 son Llanfihangel,
John Thomas grandson 8 Llanfihangel,

So it looks like the right family.
I'd guess Elizabeth Jones born in Pembrey started life as a Miss Thomas as Catherine Thomas with them on the 1891 is described as a aunt and is from Pembrey.
Possible reg for John Thomas junior Mar 1854 Lllandilofawr 11a 509 mother Thomas

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Re: Thomas family of Wales brick walls

Postby Coddjan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:27 pm

Ciderdrinker Thank you so very much for all your help!
Coddjan

Return to General research queries