Moderator Control Panel ]

Elizabeth Wootten HARPER

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Elizabeth Wootten HARPER

Postby ianbee » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi Jo
I think what they were doing was registering the births of those three children.
Why they didn't register the other two, I don't know. Perhaps they couldn't afford to do more than three in one go!
It may have been their intention to do it if and when they had survived past infancy.
Instead it seems that Elizabeth and Robert had themselves baptized in the established church when they were adults!

Robert must be that surgeon who's around later. You might get somewhere with him and his family perhaps.
And The Keep website has
Richard Tamplin of Brighton, brewer, to Robert Harper of Brighton, surgeon, and Sidney Francis Furrian of 10 Poland Street, Oxford Street, Middlesex, schoolmaster....
http://www.thekeep.info/collections/get ... W_122_3_22

Now that is interesting!
There's a bit more on there too. Search for Furrian.
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:34 pm

Jo, it's also interesting that a Jn Harper witnessed the marriage of William and Caroline
And there's a John Harper in Bond Street in Brighton in 1841 and 1851.
He died in Brighton in 1854 age 71
You can see his will here (log in again!)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=685691
Ian
ianbee

Postby brunes08 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:46 pm

I wondered if there might be a photograph of Sidney in a newspaper so had a quick look on the British Library Newspaper archive but to no avail. There was just one article in the Brighton Gazette dated Thursday May 26, 1870. It was quite a long article describing a visit to the school, naming him as the Headmaster but no photographs attached of the school or Sidney.
brunes08

Postby JMcK » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:01 am

ianbee wrote:Robert must be that surgeon who's around later. You might get somewhere with him and his family perhaps.
And The Keep website has
Richard Tamplin of Brighton, brewer, to Robert Harper of Brighton, surgeon, and Sidney Francis Furrian of 10 Poland Street, Oxford Street, Middlesex, schoolmaster....
http://www.thekeep.info/collections/get ... W_122_3_22

Now that is interesting!
There's a bit more on there too. Search for Furrian.
Ian

Yes it is! That’s a new site to me. Thank you.

In the list of people previously occupying that property is Henry Ruff. A Henry Ruff married Roseanna Wootten Harper 1816 Alverstoke, Hampshire. Surely there are not two RWHs.
JMcK

Postby JMcK » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:33 am

brunes08 wrote:Brighton Gazette dated Thursday May 26, 1870. It was quite a long article describing a visit to the school, naming him as the Headmaster but no photographs attached of the school or Sidney.

That’s a great article don’t you think Brunes08?

Following Ian’s suggestion I have followed down from Robert Harper the surgeon and fired off a few messages, Fingers crossed!
Not holding out very much hope as although he features in a number of trees none of them have investigated his Harper side. Still. You never know, there might be an Uncle Sidney and Aunt Elizabeth around.
JMcK

Postby brunes08 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:55 am

Yes. I agree JMck. Really interesting. Worth a read.
brunes08

Postby JMcK » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:28 am

Update.
I made contact with some researchers of the Robert Harper surgeon family.
No photograph of Sidney found.
I tried
Gone forever :cry:
JMcK

Previous

Return to General research queries