Moderator Control Panel ]

E W Sheppard Military Records

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

E W Sheppard Military Records

Postby eurogordi » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:16 pm

I'm trying to find out more about my uncle, Edward William Sheppard, who served in World War 2 and was believed to have been detained in a Nazi Prisoner of War Camp.

I have found his Royal Artillery attestation on Find My Past and this matches his regiment number. But I can't find any other records for him and don't understand the added pencil number or the transfer comment written in red.

Military records are not my strong point, so any advice and/or help will be welcome. Thank you.
Attachments
GBM_ROYALART_1549601-1550600_00091.jpg
GBM_ROYALART_1549601-1550600_00091.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 1483 times
eurogordi

Re: E W Sheppard Military Records

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:40 pm

1550453 - his Army number, unique across the whole Army at this time.
84/44 Lt AA - right now, why it says 84/44, I don't know, whether this is two Regiments or Batteries, I dunno, but Lt AA is Light Anti-Aircraft.
Trans to RAOC 1.3.42 (301) No idea what the 301 annotation means. RAOC is, I imagine, Royal Army Ordnance Corps, so he was transferred to them on 1 March 1942. (Unless, of course, it was 3rd January :? )
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:43 pm

I am failing dismally to understand 84/44 LAA (LAA is another way of writing Light Anti-Aircraft). The last time that I tried this it seemed pretty much pot luck finding RA regiment information and some of my sites that I bookmarked then aren't currently accessible, so this is even worse.

I don't even know if 84/44 refers to two regiments that have been merged or to 84 Battery in 44 Regiment or ....

But I presume the real story would be with his RAOC time, if he was captured - can't find him in the FindMyPast PoW stuff either - his number should be unchanged.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby phsvm » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:42 pm

If he's WW2 surely his records will still be closed? You can apply for them but you have to prove you're his next of kin.
phsvm

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:00 pm

His detailed records will still be with the Ministry of Defence - which I should have made clear and didn't so thanks for the reminder. https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records is a link in case you don't have it.

Anyone can apply for the records of a deceased member of the services - you need a death certificate (unless the death was in service) However, certain types of information will not be provided to anyone without the permission of the next of kin until 25y have passed since the death. I have a feeling that this includes (or excludes, depending on your point of view) a number of things of interest.

Some ancillary stuff did get out of the Army, however, and these Recruitment Registers or whatever you want to call them, were among them. The Royal Artillery books are on FindMyPast but other regiments' books can also be accessed at regimental museums etc.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby eurogordi » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Thank you. I've found an image of the recruitment document on FMP, but will have to speak with my cousin (his daughter) in the New Year about applying for the records as she is equally interested in finding out more about his WW2 service.
eurogordi

Return to Military help