Moderator Control Panel ]

Family Search

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Family Search

Postby KayFarndon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:30 pm

I have been without a computer for a few weeks and have just gone into Family Search and got a shock at how they have changed the site. No world map to click on now and when I put United Kingdom in as where I wanted to research, it would not accept it, so I changed it to England. Yet when I entered my search details it came up with United Kingdom. What on earth is going on and why make changes to make searching more convoluted? It worked perfectly before.
I would be interested in what other forum users think about this.
KayFarndon

Re: Family Search

Postby Sylcec » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:55 pm

The site looks pretty similar to me, but then I do use it regularly (almost daily). Only diff is that they have a constant reminder now to make sure that you have a free account and log in. (I have had one for several years, but no, not a member). The map still appears when I click on 'search' and 'records'.

Hope you find your way round the changes you see.
Sylcec

Postby paulr1949 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:55 am

I've not been on the site for a week or so, but I suspect it's to do with ensuring only account-holders can view data

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby KayFarndon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:25 am

Thank you all.
KayFarndon

Postby KayFarndon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:22 am

I have a fresh query regarding Family Search. I tried to get into it this morning and found that when I signed in it told me that my user name was non-existent, which is isn't, as I have always used it.

In January I had a similar problem and my user name was recovered to exactly the same with a password, yet today it won't accept it. So once again I have re-done this and just received an email with precisely the same user name and password, but it is still not being accepted, so I can't get into the site.

I have searched for an answer but cannot find anything regarding this, used the Family Search forum too, but there is nothing to help me and no link to send an email. Hopefully someone can suggest what I do to rectify this please.
KayFarndon

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:38 am

Kay,
Like you, I don’t like the new site. They seem to be getting like Microsoft, trying to be too clever and assuming they know what we want better than we do. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

1. When editing a query, you can’t overwrite a birthdate, you have to delete it then re-type it, despite it being highlighted, definitely not conforming to normal windows practise at all.

2. If you leave it too long between queries, ( under 10 minutes some times) the query fails, and one is presented with a new login screen, despite ticking ‘leave me logged in for 2 weeks’

3. One is often presented with ‘sorry, can’t display results’ requiring one to refresh the screen to get them to come up.

4. When searching all records for a marriage, using names for bride and groom and a date range, one is presented with a list of christenings that may match couple and possible marriages well outside the date range. I don’t mind the cristenings so much, but why put them above marriages, and why display marriages outside the chosen date range?

I could go on. :roll:
Mick Loney

Postby KayFarndon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Thank you for your comments Mick Loney, but my problem is that I can't get into Family Search at all as it won't accept my username. I have had a re-send from them and they still give my usual server name, but it still won't accept it when I fill the log-in box. It is really frustrating as there appears to be no email address to contact Family Search and the forum troubleshoot doesn't cover this.
KayFarndon

Return to Genealogy chat