Moderator Control Panel ]

James Freeland and William Oakes deaths?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby chicks » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:28 pm

Can anyone help PLEASE?

William Oakes b 1814 married Ellen Leary 17 July 1843 Tunbridge Wells. Had a girl Ellen, and a boy Henry 1854. Between 1854 and 1861 William died, but when? Wife noted as a widow in 1861 census.

James Freeland b 1834 Ireland married Ellen, the daughter, in 1862 Tunbridge Wells.They lived and had children in Tunbridge Wells up until the census 1891 when Ellen is noted as a widow, living in Southwark and the surname on census is Ireland, obviously an error.
As James is on the 1881 census he has died between 1881 - 1891. You would think i would be able to find them with being able to narrow down the search, but no! What is it with Tunbridge Wells?
chicks

Re: James Freeland and William Oakes deaths?

Postby Sylcec » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:03 am

This death would sort of fit, except that it occurs late in the year, so he should have been on the 1891 census:
First name(s) JAMES
Last name FREELAND
Gender Male
Birth year 1834
Age 57
Death quarter 4
Death year 1891
District Croydon
County Surrey
Volume 2A; Page 168
Sylcec

Postby JMcK » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:15 pm

I’ve found a number of “widows” now who are actually just covering up for a husband who has left them, or for them having left the husband.
JMcK

Postby brunes08 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:17 pm

I have found similar situations to those of JMcK. Some of my ancestors separated for some reason and the wives are 'widows' on census returns. Less of a stigma I suppose than admitting that they had been deserted or had left their husbands. It may be worth your while to look beyond the possible dates of death to see if they are registered elsewhere and later. My grandfather died many years later than believed and more than 300 miles away from where he was last known. My grandparents had separated when my father was a baby. Not having heard anything from him, I suppose it was easiest to believe he was deceased. It was a chance comment in a phone call from a distant relative that helped me to find out what had happened to him.
brunes08

Postby ianbee » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:09 am

There's probate for the Croydon one - he died in an asylum - which sadly rules him out.

chicks wrote:the census 1891 when Ellen is noted as a widow, living in Southwark

Did she die the following year?
June 1892 St. Saviour 1d 83
Freeland, Ellen
age 47

If that is her, you could get the death certificate and see whether it says "wife of", or "widow of" James Freeland. Hopefully one of her children would be the informant.

There is a James Freeland, General Labourer, in the Tonbridge Union Workhouse in 1891 and 1901. On the face of it he isn't your man - he is older, born in Tunbridge Wells rather than Ireland, and possibly widowed in 1891. Unless they got all those details wrong.

Ian
ianbee

Postby chicks » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:30 am

Hello everybody
Very much appreciated all suggestions, thank you. Ian I have Ellen's death cert and yes she is noted as a widow, son being the informant.
Will keep in mind suggestion that husband may have deserted ie William Oakes.
chicks

Return to General research queries