Moderator Control Panel ]

Sollis Family, dead end in Berkshire

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Sollis Family, dead end in Berkshire

Postby ErnieSollis » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:33 pm

My family name is Sollis and I have traced my family back to Faringdon in Berkshire (at that time) to a wedding of Mabell Pembroke (Bapt 23 Dec 1719 in Faringdon (All Saints)) to John Sollis on 9 October 1738 at All Saints, Faringdon. I have a record which states that Mabell was the daughter of Elizabeth Davis. I know no more about Elizabeth and nothing about the ancestors of John. There appear to be no mention of either Elizabeth or John (who I know was born about 1718) in parish records. I have assumed that we moved into the area from elsewhere, but I have no clues on where to look. I know my family were mainly agricultural labourers although great grandfather was a soldier in the Crimea. If anyone has any ideas on where I could look next, I would be most grateful.
ErnieSollis

Re: Sollis Family, dead end in Berkshire

Postby sdup26 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:35 am

There are two christening records in Farringdon that may be connected. Mabell Pembrook, 23/12/1719, mother Elizabeth Pembrook, no father named for Mabell. And Elizabeth Pembroke, 5/1/1696, parents Walter and Anne Pembroke.
sdup26

Postby ErnieSollis » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:06 pm

Thank you for this: on your information my Elizabeth Davis is Elizabeth Pembroke at the time of christening. Begs the question why two sources have different surnames? Is there a marriage before or after the event? More head scratching I think.
ErnieSollis

Postby ErnieSollis » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:45 pm

" Elizabeth Pembroke, 5/1/1696, parents Walter and Anne Pembroke." On the face of it, this is my "Elizabeth Davis" and adds another 20 years or so to my history. I had always thought Elizabeth would be born around 1700 so 1696 is pretty close. My original researcher (who had access to the church records) gave me Davis as a surname, so did she get married after the baptism? In which case why would the vicar record her name as Davis when it was still Pembroke? Can I ask the source of your information for my records please?
Ernie.
ErnieSollis

Postby sdup26 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:58 pm

Hello Ernie - the records I posted can be found on www.familysearch.org
I can't find an Elizabeth Davis born in Faringdon about 1700 (nearest seems to be 1686). If your Elizabeth had Mabell as an unmarried woman, and married later, then as you rightly say, she would marry as Pembroke, so I'm not sure where the Davis surname fits in. The only suggestion I can make is that your researcher mis-read a Smith entry before or after Mabell's, and incorrectly applied it to her, but that may be scraping the barrel a bit!
I tried for a Faringdon marriage between Elizabeth Pembroke & a Mr Smith, and also wondered if Elizabeth's mother Anne was nee Smith. No luck with that either, but while searching, I found two Faringdon burials: Walter Pembrooke 30/10/1723, and Elizabeth Pembroke 6/12/1739, but no ages stated so they may not be your family members.
sdup26

Postby ErnieSollis » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Once again, thank you.
ErnieSollis

Return to General research queries