Moderator Control Panel ]

First World War medical records

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

First World War medical records

Postby junkers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:25 pm

The records that FMP are putting on line are quite hard to use as they don't appear to have full names on the original records. The other issue is that FMP should not be closing the records for 100 years, but for 86 years (there should be an assumption that soldiers would have been 14 years of age at time of admission), the records continue to 1921 and the data protection issues do not apply as the youngest person would have been born in 1907. Incidentally the original records (in series MH 106) are all open at The National Archives.
junkers

Re: First World War medical records

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:24 am

I hadn't seen any closures on the ones that I sampled so thanks for the warning.

Certainly there seems some muddled thinking going on if indeed all the originals at Kew are open. Not to mention that surely FMP should know that all participants in WW1 are dead? (Ah - I see that the records go up to 1921 so not quite as clear and well known then)

Mind you, the Ministry of Defence also apply a period of well over 100 years from birth before assuming that the soldier is dead, when handling access to the Soldiers' Papers in their keeping. 115y?? Not sure....

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:59 pm

We are still pressing MOD over their soldiers' records, they were going onto a online platform but since then nothing.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Yes, the whole MoD records proposal thing was curious to me. There seemed to be an idea to move forward on some sort of risk based analysis of the confidentiality - do a basic analysis and then, if the majority looked OK I suppose, release the stuff with a mechanism to request withdrawal if someone wanted. Since then, as you say, nothing.

But frankly, I don't, as I part imply, understand the justification for the current MoD confidentiality rules anyway. They might make sense if they could be bothered to explain...

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:32 pm

The MOD do have an issue with their records as they can stretch into the 1990s (including letters from descendants, which really shouldn't be on file) and large numbers of files. What is a 'typical' file and can it safely be assumed to release. Personally I think they should release.
junkers

Return to Genealogy chat