Moderator Control Panel ]

The Lovegroves of Reading

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: The Lovegroves of Reading

Postby Lynne974 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:44 am

I have just seen your original post. Unfortunately I have no knowledge to impart on your query.

But my maternal great grandmother was Alice Maria Grandy who married Victor Papucci in 1882. I assume from your post that you must be a Grandy. I would love to know if we are connected.

Good luck with your research.
Lynne
Lynne974

Postby Grandy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi Lynn

Unfortunately I can't help you as the name 'Grandy' is a nickname given to me by my grandsons as my real name is Andy. :)
Grandy

Postby Grandy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:50 pm

Just a quick update for you all; I found the following extract from a newspaper cutting on the 'Find My Past' website .......

WOKINGHAM COUNTY BENCH.
"...... of 104, Wykeham-road, Arehy :?: Hodges, and Albert Hodges, of 1 :?: 5, Wykeham-road, Harry Robinson of 95, Wykeham-road, and John Lovegrove of 38, Grange Avenue, boys, all of Reading, were summoned for damaging a hayrick pulling off the thatch pegs and twine and ...... "
06 December 1902 - Reading Mercury - Reading, Berkshire, England

Grange Avenue was where Thomas Lovegrove lived but he doesn't appear to have had a son called John so I think this may be another reference to Francis George Lovegrove.

I'm not a FMP member (yet) so I haven't been able to view the actual clipping, can anyone take a look at this for me please?

All the best
Grandy

Postby ianbee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:57 pm

What a good find!
Attachments
Wokingham County Bench.JPG
Wokingham County Bench.JPG (153.48 KiB) Viewed 637 times
ianbee

Postby Grandy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Thanks Ian, I only had to go through 1525 descriptions of newspaper cuttings to find this!

Although I'm now completely convinced that Francis George was the John Lovegrove that I've been looking for, I'd still like something more solid to round things off. It seems that 'John' was a name that he was commonly known by so I might see if I can find any old local school or church records from the period. :ugeek:
Grandy

Postby WizL » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:12 pm

Hi, I have just stumbled upon this forum and guess you may have resolved your question by now...

Francis George Lovegrove was my Great Uncle, My Grandad was his brother David. I can confirm that he was never known as Francis and always went by the name of Jack even as a child, in fact several of the children were known by different names, my Grandad was christened David, but was known as Joe all of his life and another brother Henry was known as Toby

Jack fought in WW1, lost an eye and suffered shell shock. My aunt who is still alive remembers Jack and his wife Dolly and their two children Rita and Audrey, she visited them during WW2. She thinks that he was married before, but doesn't know any details. She said she would be surprised that her dad never mentioned if true, it would be odd that her mum and dad never mentioned anything as there was contact with his older sister Gertrude between the wars...
WizL

Previous

Return to General research queries