Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others
Post a reply

Re: The Lovegroves of Reading

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:16 am

ianbee wrote:Could the answer be that John was actually Francis George?

Birth, Sep 1889 Reading 2c 372
Lovegrove, Francis George
mother Dixon

There is a Francis G Lovegrove on some early 1960s south London electoral registers, at the same address as Clyde and Rita Blake.
Marriage
Dec 1953 Stepney 5d 1060
Blake, Clyde D.
Lovegrove, Rita D.

ianbee wrote:John Lovegrove, born 3 July 91, Married, Painter & Decorator
closed record
Rita D Lovegrove (later Blake), 4 Nov 28, Single, At School

if that's the case, then, according to the family tree on Ancestry of Andy Page, which I think might be the tree of this enquirer, the family rumour about him being his Wife's uncle is true :-)

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:46 am

JMcK wrote:if that's the case, then, according to the family tree on Ancestry of Andy Page, which I think might be the tree of this enquirer, the family rumour about him being his Wife's uncle is true)

I wonder what gave him that idea!

ianbee wrote:There is a Francis G Lovegrove on some early 1960s south London electoral registers

A sample of what we have
Francis G Lovegrove and Rita D Lovegrove in Lambeth

Last one available seems to be 1964, Dulwich
36 Cheltenham Road
Attachments
Lovegrove 1953.JPG
Lovegrove 1953.JPG (19.54 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
Lovegrove 1963.JPG
Lovegrove 1963.JPG (21.76 KiB) Viewed 1611 times

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:52 am

We can do better than that.
I must have come across this when looking for Dorothy in the electorals, and not paid it any attention!

Parliamentary Division of Twickenham
Hounslow South
Polling District G
Parish of Heston and Isleworth
Hounslow Central Electoral Division

At 179 Whitton Dene, Isleworth
Dorothy May + Francis George Lovegrove!
Attachments
Lovegrove 1936.JPG
Lovegrove 1936.JPG (35.76 KiB) Viewed 1610 times

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:59 am

Best of all, a Railway Employment Record for Francis George Lovegrove!
With a matching birthday, 3 July, for John's in 1939!

Name: Francis George Lovegrove
Birth Date: 3 Jul 1889
Residence Date: 7 Apr 1904
Station: Reading
Company: Great Western
Description: No.5 1863-1911 Swindon Division
Source:
The National Archives: Great Western Railway Company Staff Records
Class: RAIL264; Piece: 152

He seems to have resigned 4 days later!
Attachments
F G Lovegrove Railway.JPG
F G Lovegrove Railway.JPG (78.74 KiB) Viewed 1610 times

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:13 pm

So the burning question
Is the John Lovegrove who married Mildred Doris Goodey in 1920
the same John who married Dorothy May Brentnall in 1925 (as found by Jo)

Seems likely to me. But no sign of a divorce in that short intervening period.
Ian

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi All and thanks for your responses. :)

To add to the confusion Mildred Doris Goodey's mother was born Gertrude Lovegrove and was the eldest child of Thomas Lovegrove and Margaret Dixon (Gertrude married Oliver Osman Goodey in December 1900). However, although Thomas was a painter and he and Margaret had 18 children, Gertrude didn't have a brother called John. I did look at David Lovegrove, as he was born at around the same time that JL put on their marriage certificate, but couldn't find any convincing link there. I'll look more closely at Francis George, thanks for that suggestion, and hope that I don't have to wait until 2021 for the release of the 1921 census :lol:

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:24 pm

Well, if they were uncle and niece, it certainly would explain there being no sign of a divorce. As the marriage would have been illegal in the first place!

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:13 pm

You're right, the Andy Page tree is mine (well, it's my wife's actually). ;)

This feels like a real breakthrough, I've been trying to crack this particular nut for more than 3 years now. :roll:

The only thing that puzzles me is why would he have referred to himself as John, rather than Frances or Frank?

I did find a Frank G Lovegrove (201663) in the Princess Charlotte of Wales Regiment (Royal Berkshires) which probably put me off the scent for a bit but everything that's been posted here makes me feel certain that there is something to it.

Just need to dot the i's and cross the t's now; thanks all. :D

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:16 am

I wonder if the name change was as simple as the fact that the other Frank George Lovegrove existed and maybe the army wanted him to have another name, or he thought he should, or they ran up against each other all the time.... The other Frank George died WW1

I can’t believe Mildred didn’t know he was her uncle..but perhaps in such a large family things get obscured? Her mother WAS a lot older than Francis George ...I notice Mildred must have been well pregnant at the marriage to him.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:01 pm

It all adds up! :D

1. The address of Thomas Lovegrove (38 Grange Avenue, Reading), given as next of kin by John Lovegrove for his military service, is the same as that of Thomas Lovegrove, father of Francis George Lovegrove.
2. John Lovegrove, listed as living with Rita D Lovegrove in Twickenham in 1939.
3. Rita D Lovegrove marries Clyde Denman Blake in December 1953.
4. In the 1960s (various London electoral registers), Francis George Lovegrove is living with Clyde D and Rita D Blake.

I'm no rocket scientist but, to my mind, this proves that John Lovegrove was in fact Francis George Lovegrove; and the rumours about him being Mildred's uncle were true.

Thank you so much everyone for your efforts ;)
Post a reply