Moderator Control Panel ]

Berkshire electoral registers

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Berkshire electoral registers

Postby junkers » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Its good to have some of the registers on line but ancestry for some reason has decided, it seems, to only put online the registers for every five years (e.g. 1960, 1965).
junkers

Re: Berkshire electoral registers

Postby Guy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:46 pm

junkers wrote:Its good to have some of the registers on line but ancestry for some reason has decided, it seems, to only put online the registers for every five years (e.g. 1960, 1965).

What would you rather have registers five years apart or none at all.

Think about it from the other side how much does it cost to scan the registers and index them?
Then add the cost of any licence fee that might be due to the supplier.

Records don't just appear by magic every record available online has a cost involved sometimes when one adds up the sums the cost is substantial for a complete record set.

Apart form the cost aspect it could be that the supplier only had certain years available to the company, but whatever the reason it is always better to have some records rather than none at all.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:41 pm

So far as I can see from what it offers for the browse facility, all (available) registers are there in the image-only browse, not just every 5th year. What Ancestry have presumably done is just index every 5th year.

This is actually a typical Ancestry strategy where there is low volatility in a lot of base data. The Nurses' registers are like it in some years (all?) as are Army Muster Books and Pay Lists. And probably others. But you do need to know that it's happened.

NB I haven't checked details at the image level - just looked at the headers for the browse.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:00 pm

I have contacted the Berkshire Record Office and there were no restrictions on ancestry, i.e. they were not asked to only put online every fifth year. People moved around and those other four years might be the ones you are looking at. On costs if you can't do all of the entries then don't do any, leave it to people who can. I wonder what the response would be if for example you only digitised baptism records of every fifth year. If ancestry have just indexed every fifth year that is wrong.
junkers

Postby junkers » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 pm

The ancestry search page says that they have indeed indexed only every five years. Crazy!.
junkers

Postby Guy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:40 pm

junkers wrote:The ancestry search page says that they have indeed indexed only every five years. Crazy!.

How many have you indexed?

You don't seem to understand the costs (labour, time & money) involved in transcribing/indexing records.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby junkers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:20 pm

If they don't have the ability to index all of the records then they shouldn't do the work!.
junkers

Postby ksouthall » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:51 pm

junkers wrote:If they don't have the ability to index all of the records then they shouldn't do the work!.

Perhaps the costs were too prohibitive. I'm assuming no other company tendered or put forward a good enough bid for tender and that this is the best deal that was on offer. As far as I'm concerned, once every five years is better than no records at all.
ksouthall

Postby junkers » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:02 pm

No-one was forcing them and I understand Berkshire Record Office are not happy, perhaps there needs to be a clause in the contract over indexing?.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:20 pm

Frankly if the contract doesn't specify something as basic as what Ancestry are going to actually do, then the Record Office have zero right to complain.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Next

Return to Genealogy chat