Moderator Control Panel ]

Acts of Administration in the PCC 1631-1648.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Acts of Administration in the PCC 1631-1648.

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Fantastic Sylcec, yes, this should now be quite straight forward.

I also had a dig around in the indexes on the FamilySearch site, and I have found John in the Index for 1647. Fascinating but true, the PCC Indexes seem to work on the modern dating system, with 1647 beginning in January, not mid March! Anyway, John appears in the Index under March 1647. I attach an extract to illustrate what I found.

So thank you all very much for your help. I will update again when I have been in to Exeter & tried the system.

Regards,

Jane
Attachments
Extract from the 1647 PCC Index..png
Extract from the 1647 PCC Index..png (820.62 KiB) Viewed 774 times
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby ianbee » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:45 pm

Here's the entry in the Act Book
Attachments
John Abley Adm Act Book.jpg
John Abley Adm Act Book.jpg (236.28 KiB) Viewed 756 times
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:17 pm

Mmm yeah.

Simples....

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:24 pm

Well, yes, it doesn't look as though it will help Jane very much, even when it is translated.
May save a trip to Exeter though.
Ian
ianbee

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:52 am

Ian, you are wonderful! Thank you so much! Yes, now I won't have to see how it works in Exeter.

AS A THANK YOU, HERE IS SOME GENERAL ADVICE FOR NOVICES TO OLD DOCS LIKE WILLS!

As you say Adrian, Ian's find will need some work. However, I find that working on Wills from the era, both in English & Latin (TOP TIP to anyone who is put off, actually MOSTLY in English, even back to my 11 x GGF in 1573) you sort of get into the groove. As you work on the document, leave gaps for things you cannot yet read, and carry on, then you will suddenly find that a letter is now clear, and you can go back and fill in the gaps. And always transcribe what is there, don't modernise the words, or you might get yourself in a muddle. You can always add a note to yourself in brackets with the modern word in.

If you really get a taste for this sort of route, and have access to plenty of Wills & old Parish records, try 'Palaeography for Family and Local Historians' by Hilary Marshall, which is brilliant as an aid.

And TOP TIP 2, try Google for Latin translations. Put into Google 'Latin to English', and it throws up a paired box, where you put the Latin word in one and it produces the English translation or multiple options, in the paired box. You can also change the boxes over, and if you think you know the meaning or sense, but the Latin word is slightly tricky to read, try the English & see what it translates as. It is a great way of checking words or short phrases, and I shall probably use it for this.

I will hope that it gives me a tiny chink of light. Again with Wills, sometimes the smallest, apparently throw-away, line can take a massive sledge hammer to that brick wall. Someone is mentioned, and it proves BEYOND DOUBT that someone is related. I had someone being left a lamb in my 10x Great Grandfather's Will of 1603, and it has pushed me back at least 2 more generations, by proving a connection.

Best wishes to all,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:06 pm

I have been working on some Wills, using the materials described in my last Post. Many of them were more straightforward than this document, though it is brief! But here, for use by others, is my transcription of the lines in the post above, and a rough translation.

One important point: the BIGGEST issue when working on such texts, whether they are in Latin or English, is that our forefathers had a VERY irritating habit of missing out letters or bunches of them. This is certainly true here. They also had single letters that need to be read as a group, and the most significant of these is a letter like a lower case p with a long looping tail that crosses back round and over the down tail. It is translated as 'per'. This appears here twice in two words near the middle - nuper ?nipertibus. Nuper means 'recently' or 'lately'. The second word (or words) continues to foil me!

Anyway, the text reads:

Johes ABLEY Undecimo die emanauit sumistis Elizabethe ABLEY Relicte Johes ABLEY nuper ni pertibus ultra mare defunctae habentis et ad administrandum bona iura et credita dictae defunctae de bene et iuratae.

This translates thus: John ABLEY. The eleventh day was published/granted sumistis Elizabeth ABLEY the widow of the late John ABLEY recently ni pertibus overseas defunct having and managing the goods rights and credits of the said deceased for good and she having sworn.

OR to put it in English: On the 11th March 1647 something was granted to Elizabeth ABLEY, the Widow of the late John ABLEY who recently died overseas. She has sworn to properly manage the goods, rights and credits.

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Previous

Return to General research queries