Moderator Control Panel ]

Oswald Hedley, b. 1899 North Shields - or was he?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Oswald Hedley, b. 1899 North Shields - or was he?

Postby Sylcec » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:30 am

William Hedley b. abt 1858 and his wife Mary Macdonald b about 1856 were confectioners - cordial manufacturers Co. Durham who came to Australia sometime after 1911 census and before 1930 when I have them on the electoral rolls in Woonona (south of Sydney). They are closely associated with a family named BLACK - all together on the 1911 census and live close in NSW.
Now, Wm & Mary have ? 3 children, the youngest of which purports to be Oswald, born about 1899, supposedly in North Shields. Problem is that I can find no evidence of his birth or baptism under any name - your assistance would be appreciated if possible.
I have his marriage and divorce in Australia from an Ancestry tree - (not mine) but which I have checked main details of.
Thanks for any ideas. Sylvia
Sylcec

Re: Oswald Hedley, b. 1899 North Shields - or was he?

Postby JMcK » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:41 am

on FMP - he was adopted. Mother June Carey

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=R_879081959

I don't see a Carey birth that matches though.

Oswald Hedley
Last name Hedley
Name note adopted
Gender Male
Birth year -
Birth place -
Baptism year 1899
Baptism date 16 Nov 1899
Residence Durham, England
Place -
County Durham
Country England
Father's first name(s) William
Father's last name Hedley
Mother's first name(s) Mary
Mother's last name -
Mother's name note June/Carey(mother)
Record set England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Parish Baptisms
Collections from England, Great Britain
JMcK

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:49 am

Just to add that firstly this was simply a baptism record that had been annotated with comments about the adoption. Secondly, the index actually comes from FamilySearch where you can use the film number cited to see that the film in question contains records from a number of Methodist chapels of varying sorts in County Durham. But which supplied this baptism, I can't work out. I might be missing something though.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sylcec » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:06 am

Thanks both - I have bought credits for Durham Records on line - hoping to get an image of the record - no such luck - but there is now a date of birth: https://www.durhamrecordsonline.com
Baptisms, Durham District - Record Number: 527208.0
Church: Durham Primitive Methodist Circuit
Denomination: Methodist
16 Nov 1899 Oswald Hedley, of Langley Bridge, Parish of St.Margaret's, Durham, born 10 Oct 1899, son of Jane Carey (spinster) and adopted son of William (mineral water manufacturer) & Mary Hedley.
Looks like potential for plenty more research here .
Sylcec

Postby Sylcec » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:11 am

Thought it was time to come back to this one - I was hoping to find out more about Oswald's biological mother, said to be Jane Carey. Of course we know nothing except the name. However, I have looked and cannot find in Co. Durham:
- no apparent birth registration for Oswald under any name, which should have been in last qtr 1899
- a death 1899 - 1901 for Jane Carey (have considered poss of Jane Casey)
- 1901 census entry for person of this name and suitable age - of course she may have been a matureish lady when Oswald was born, but would have expected under 40 ...
- marriage within the same general time period
- had she been a servant in one of the extensive Hedley family households?

Any ideas as to her ID will be gratefully received.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby ianbee » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:12 pm

William and Mary might have changed the name of their adopted son to Oswald? Since there is no Oswald Carey. Did William Hedley have a younger brother called Oswald?
It is a shortish timescale, 10 October to 16 November.
However, North Shields was in Tynemouth RD, and there is just one Carey birth there at the appropriate time.
Dec 1899 Tynemouth 10b 253
Carey, Thomas Henry
mother —

So, likely illegitimate. Can that one be traced later?
If Jane Carey married in the area, there is Jane Buglass Carey who married Septimus Graham in Tynemouth, March qtr 1901. She seems to have been born in Berwick in 1879.
There's another Jane Carey marriage in 1906 (Newcastle)
Ian
ianbee

Postby Sylcec » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:28 pm

Thanks again Ian. How did I miss those? Will buy the birth cert to check.
Yes, Oswald is a name that crops up frequently in the Hedley ancestry, and there was a younger brother of that name. Will report back again in due course.

The Jane Buglass Carey who m Septimus Graham dies late 1914. By 1911 they had 7 children, of which 5 were still living. As you said, she was born in Berwick on Tweed, parents John Carey, Master Mariner and Isabella.

pdf of birth cert not due until 22 Dec - will be interesting to see if the mother is this Jane, or someone else altogether!
Sylcec

Postby Sylcec » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:45 pm

BINGO!!!
Birth: 10 October 1899, Thomas Henry, boy, no father, mother: Jane Buglass Carey, a domestic servant; informant: J B Carey, 140 Howden Road, Chirton.

As an aside 140 Howden Road was her parents' address in 1901, so it appears she was probably looked after by her family in the later stages of pregnancy.

Thanks to IanBee and the GRO's new indexing for bringing this to light.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Return to General research queries