Moderator Control Panel ]

Great grandfather

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Great grandfather

Postby feg » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi,

I’m helping my nephew with his WW1 school project. I have an image of my great grandfather who was in the military during WW1 but can anyone identify which regiment he was in by his cap badge?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 1478 times
feg

Re: Great grandfather

Postby Jethro Tull » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:25 am

Hi feg,

I'm pretty certain this is The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment). Also known as the Mutton Lancers.

Dan.

Sent from my SM-G930F using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:06 am

Oh dear me. This is why, Dan, I always try to see if you have an opinion first. (Which, belatedly, I agree with). Badges that are clear in my reference books are quite different when reduced to a small number of pixels. I was convinced that this was a horse. I could see something on the animal's back so was wondering if this was St George on a horse but couldn't find a badge that matched. No, not St George on a horse. A sheep! (Or, more correctly, a Paschal Lamb with banner). Good job someone knows what they're doing...

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jethro Tull » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:42 am

Thanks for the backup on this one Adrian! I have a rough idea of what I'm looking at, all backed up with lots of reference books and too long looking at old photos! I agree how hard it is to try to identify these badges from old photos, the shadows and fuzzy resolution all have an impact. This is one I know fairly well from studying my own family photos closely, my Great Grandad served with them. There are other badges similar as you initially thought, for example, The Buffs (Royal East Kent Regiment), or even West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) to name a couple. They can all look very similar on old pictures.

Dan.
Jethro Tull

Postby Jethro Tull » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:08 pm

Just as an extra on this one too, to me at least,the caps appear to be the 1905 "stiff peak" pattern which indicates this picture as early or pre war as from 1915 I would possibly expect to see a mixture with some "Gor Blimey" types or if after 1917 the soft peak field caps.

Dan.
Jethro Tull

Postby feg » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:43 pm

Great thank you for your help. Much appreciated
feg

Return to Military help