Moderator Control Panel ]

DNA Advice Please

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

DNA Advice Please

Postby eurogordi » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:53 pm

I've been thinking about buying a DNA test and will probably go through Ancestry which seems to be the leading provider of this service. However, I'm just looking for others to tell me of their own experiences before I part with my money!

1. Does the Ancestry test cover the male and female lines? I don't understand the X and Y jargon, so just want to know if one test covers everything or whether I need to take two. If one of my children took the test, would that show up the ethnicity of both me and my wife?

2. Having spent 40 years or so tracing my family history, I have documentary evidence showing that I have Jewish, Russian and Spanish ancestry... but, as my wife says, only the female line can biologically be trusted. So has anyone found DNA has disproved their research? I don't want to lose my male Jewish ancestor in the even that his non-Jewish wife may have been less than faithful!

I guess DNA will be more accurate in identifying ethnic origins, but I just don't want to lose the romanticism of years spent pouring through dusty documents!
eurogordi

Re: DNA Advice Please

Postby Sylcec » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:34 pm

Currently Ancestry only offers autosomal DNA testing though they do hold the largest data base - something to do with massive advertising maybe!!! To follow male only line - that's Y-DNA you should consider going with FamilyTreeDNA (FTDNA) which offers a much wider range of tests. By joining one of their surname, ethnic or other groups you can get a discounted rate on tests.
My friend Kerry Farmer has studied and written extensively on the subject, so suggest that you read some of the material from her website: http://familyhistoryresearch.com.au/
Last edited by Sylcec on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sylcec

Postby eurogordi » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:31 pm

Now I'm very confused because I want a test that does make and female. All this Y and X stuff doesn't mean anything to me!!
eurogordi

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:15 am

Y looks at the wholly male line. Only males can take this test.

Y-DNA testing will therefore tell you only about your father's father's father's father's.... etc.

Mitochondrial DNA testing (mtDNA for short) tells you about the wholly female line. Anyone can take this test. It tells you about your mother's mother's mother's mother's etc line.

All the rest, all the bit in the middle of your tree, as it were, will be invisible to Y-DNA and mtDNA testing. To find anything about those people, you need Autosomal DNA tests.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby JaneyH » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:25 pm

If you're new to genetic genealogy the I can thoroughly recommend getting a copy of this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Guide-T ... dpSrc=srch

I've just finished reading it and I've learned so much! It is well-written, makes good use of diagrams and examples, and explains complicated scientific concepts in a way that the lay person can understand. Well worth £22.99 in my opinion!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby pforkes » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:34 am

AncestryDNA certainly does have a lot of members and I have made some interesting and distant connections that otherwise I would very likely never have made.

The main 'issue' that I have with it is the sheer number of subscribers who do not have a tree uploaded, so there is no way to find out how we are connected.

Several years ago I submitted a DNA sample to 23 and Me, but although I allegedly have many possible fifth and sixth cousins but none of them have every turned into an actual relative.
pforkes

Postby ksouthall » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:26 pm

pforkes wrote:Several years ago I submitted a DNA sample to 23 and Me, but although I allegedly have many possible fifth and sixth cousins but none of them have every turned into an actual relative.

It's possible they are related but you and they are unaware of the connection due to illegitimacy or an extra-marital affair. We rely on paper records which could be hiding secrets from us.
ksouthall

Return to General research queries