Moderator Control Panel ]

More information on a soldier Frederick John Bowden

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

More information on a soldier Frederick John Bowden

Postby vito74 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:59 pm

I think I might have found my great grand father in the war records. How would I find more information on him. His name is Frederick John Bowden and the regiment numbers I have obtained are 0910 and 9542 of the 2nd Devonshire regiment. The previous number has him as acting Lance Sgt. This was in the Great War. Been told by older relatives he was a Sgt. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
vito74

Re: More information on a soldier Frederick John Bowden

Postby sdup26 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:50 pm

I can't find a Frederick John Bowden of the 2nd Devonshires with the soldier numbers you've given, but there's a Frederick John Bowden, 2nd Devonshires, number 8969. Fortunately, family details are given, so you'll know if he is your man: the son of John and Marie Bowden of Torquay, and husband of Mary Minnie Bowden of Ellenborough Place, Clifton Wood, Bristol. If this is your Frederick John, he was a drummer, and a Lance-Corporal, but Acting Corporal at the time of his death from flu in 1918.
sdup26

Postby vito74 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:06 pm

His parents are Frederick Thomas Watson Bowden and Rose e Bowden nee Burgess. I think it might be 2nd Devons. He did not die till 1959.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
vito74

Postby sdup26 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:49 pm

I'm sorry that soldier wasn't your Frederick, who continues to be elusive. As you know, only about 30% of soldier's service records still exist, because of a fire at the Army Records Office, so it could be bad luck that Frederick's was one of the records that haven't survived. You can get more info from www.longlongtrail.co.uk and I also tried www.forces-war-records.co.uk but with no luck. I hope someone else on this site can help you, but you've put your query into General Research - why not try moving it to the MIlitary Research section of the forum?
sdup26

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:05 pm

I presume that the full detailed soldiers records for 9542 Frederick Bowden were destroyed in WW2. Unless you have something else to link 9542 to your chap, then he could be anybody. Indeed, I note that the Medal Rolls and Index Card for 9542 on Ancestry all refer to him as Frederick, never Frederick John Bowden. It's not to be relied upon, but it does illustrate that there is no real evidence to link 9542 to your chap.

The one thing that I can say is that 9542 must have been a full time soldier prior to the War as his Medal Index Card shows that he had the 1914 Star with Clasp & Roses. This means he was under fire in the first few months of the war - in other words, he really had to have been a regular since I doubt very much that anyone could volunteer and be out there before the cut-off date for the 1914 Star with Clasp & Roses - which was 22 November 1914. (I could be wrong....)

If you can't find your FJB in the full Service records, then I suggest that your best bet is to see if you can find him in the Absent Voters Lists (not the ordinary electoral rolls) because that should give his name, rank, number and unit.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries