Moderator Control Panel ]

DNA Enquiry - Last of the line

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

DNA Enquiry - Last of the line

Postby Geoff_T. » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:15 pm

I hope I am asking in the right place but I am looking for a bit of guidance regarding my father in law. I have been working on his family tree for a while but it has recently hit me that he is the last of his family as far as I am aware. He is 90 years old and when we lose him we also lose the the family name. He had no other male relatives that I am aware of but I am acutely aware that he also holds the last of the male DNA (Y-DNA). My question to you all is to offer any advice as to which company to go to and which test for him to take. I appreciate that keeping a record of the Y-DNA is probably at the top of the list but there appears to be such a wide variety. I am leaning towards a Family Tree test and probably one which covers 67 markers but am very open to suggestions.
Thank you.
Geoff_T.

Re: DNA Enquiry - Last of the line

Postby JMcK » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:41 pm

https://www.thoughtco.com/dna-tests-ava ... gy-1421838

There are a lot of similar web-sites. Personally I would get as many as you can afford! Because as you say, once he's gone, he's gone.
JMcK

Postby Sylcec » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:45 pm

I think that FamilyTreeDNA is the way to go. Even if you begin with a 67 marker test, once they have the sample you can always upgrade later.
Oh - and if you join one of their groups - such as a surname group - then there is a discounted rate for the tests.
Sylcec

Postby meekhcs » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:32 am

I agree with Sylvia FTDNA 67marker y chromosone test is the way to go. Once you have received the results I would upload them to Gedmatch. Gedmatch collates individual results uploaded by people who have used different DNA testing companies thereby broadening the chance of a match.
meekhcs

Postby Geoff_T. » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:32 pm

Very many thanks for all your help and guidance. Looks like Santa will be getting me the Family Tree kit.
Geoff_T.

Postby phsvm » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:03 pm

You say you will loose the surname once your f-i-l is no longer with you and you know of no other males to keep the surname going. You haven't said what the name is so I have no way of knowing if it's a rare name or not.

Slightly 'off-piste' as this isn't DNA but have you had a look at the Guild of One Name Studies to see if they've done any work on the surname?

one-name.org
phsvm

Return to General research queries