Moderator Control Panel ]

German POW in Ganger Camp, Romsey

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

German POW in Ganger Camp, Romsey

Postby ljparvin » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:37 pm

Hello everyone,
I wonder if anyone recognises or has heard of my great grandfather, of whom I know hardly anything about, leaving me with a huge hole in my family tree.

My grandmother (who also doesn't really know about her father) says her mother said his name was Albert Charles John Weidemann (not sure on spelling) and he was a German Prisoner of War during the second world war at Camp 41 (Ganger Camp) in Romsey. His supposed birthday is 21st June 1920/1921 and he left Britain in about 1952 (a couple years after my grandmother was born).

My great grandmother was a Rowe and my grandmother was also a Rowe, taking her mother's surname. I could be wrong, but I think they lived around Woodley at the time.
Attachments
Albert.jpg
Albert in Camp 41, Romsey
Albert.jpg (57.05 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
Albert W.jpg
Albert in Ganger Camp Uniform
Albert W.jpg (66.08 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
ljparvin

Re: German POW in Ganger Camp, Romsey

Postby JMcK » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:20 am

Have you got your grandmother's birth certificate?
What does it say?
JMcK

Postby ljparvin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:42 am

Haven't got it yet but it's being ordered so fingers crossed!
ljparvin

Postby AntonyM » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:38 pm

The way the entry of your grandmothers birth is indexed will make it clear whether any father is named on it.
AntonyM

Postby ljparvin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:20 pm

How so?
ljparvin

Postby AntonyM » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:34 pm

ljparvin wrote:How so?

If the parents are not married then the father's name can only be on the register if he attended with the mother to register the birth. In that case, the entry will appear twice in the index, once under his name, and again under hers.

If the entry is only indexed under the mother's surname ( and the index shows the mothers maiden name as the same) that will indicate no father's name is on the regsiter, and the mother is unmarried.
AntonyM

Postby ljparvin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:28 pm

Oh right, well it'll be the latter then..
ljparvin

Postby Gustav1870 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:32 pm

The Federal Archives (Bundesarchiv http://www.bundesarchiv.de/DE/Navigation/Home/home.html ) in Berlin has in its inventory the documents of the Wehrmacht members and those of the returns of POW. You already have so much information (all first names, date of birth & POW camp) that you will surely find him. Viel Glück!
Gustav1870

Postby Tiger18 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:09 am

Hi, just inquiring if you had any luck tracing your grandfather.
I also am trying to trace a POW from Ganger Camp by the name of Kurt Lepen or Leppen. He is my sisters father and we know he was still in the area in 1947 when she was born but like your grandfather he was not named on her birth certificate ! We know he was sent to the hostel at Enham Arch and worked on local farms in the area. Unfortunately we do not know what happened to him and presume he was repatriated back to Germany.
Tiger18

Return to General research queries