Moderator Control Panel ]

Accidental death of William Mannouch

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Accidental death of William Mannouch

Postby Katman63 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:26 am

Does any one know where I can find a coroners report from 1840. My GGGgrandfather William Mannouch's death certificate says that his death was accidental but gives no details. He died on 6th September, was buried on the 9th but the death certificate is dated the 14th. Does that mean there was an inquest and if there was is it possible to view? I have also tried local papers to see if there is a report of an accident in or around Boughton, Kent at that time.
Attachments
William Death Cert017.jpg
William Death Cert017.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 935 times
Katman63

Re: Accidental death of William Mannouch

Postby sdup26 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:00 pm

Not directly related to your query, but may be of interest. From the Kentish Mercury 11th April 1840:
"William Mannouch was convicted of cutting heath, the property of J. Hyde Esq of Syndale, and sentenced to 3 months imprisonment. The practice having become common, and the prisoner being an old offender, the magistrates considered themselves justified in inflicting the full penalty."

If this is your William, he would have been released a couple of months before his death; maybe imprisonment affected his health and had a bearing on the accident?
sdup26

Postby MoVidger » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:29 pm

According to the Kent County Council website:
Coroners' records, dating back to the 16th century, are held at the Kent History and Library Centre in Maidstone. These records are normally available after 100 years. If you would like access to these records please contact the coroner from the relevant area in Kent.
MoVidger

Postby Katman63 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi, I'm afraid that the convict does sound like my GGGgrandfather :oops: . Syndale is not far from Boughton where he died. I hope to get to Maidstone soon as I think they may have several records relevant to my family so I will contact them about the coroners report. As ever thanks for your help. :)
Katman63

Return to General research queries